IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting pump for the annual LOCOHO Fish Camp and was wondering. I usually put ALOT of scent on my bait, spinners, K-fish ect... But, was wondering if it could be too much. I wash with soap and or crest pre and post. With the new stronger scents can a guy put too much on?
Any thoughts?:shrug:

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Getting pump for the annual LOCOHO Fish Camp and was wondering. I usually put ALOT of scent on my bait, spinners, K-fish ect... But, was wondering if it could be too much. I wash with soap and or crest pre and post. With the new stronger scents can a guy put too much on?
Any thoughts?:shrug:
1 drop, 1 tblspoon, 1 cup....it smells the same...it does not emit higher concentrations by how much you use.

it may however last longer on your lure if you apply more to the lure than a drop or two, depending on current, etc.

personally...for salmon..I slather, for steelhead a drop or two is sufficient for my fishing.

That being said...alot of times scent is not needed and can actually hinder a bite

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Curious to know if anyone else has this problem. I used to use scent all over my flashers (hot spots, whatever), spoons and spinners. But I found after awhile it dulls the finish of flashers, spinners and spoons. Kind of leaves a film on them, which doesnt come off. I quit using scent on the flashers and only put scent on the reverse, non painted, dull side of spoons and spinners. I know I should wash them with lemon joy etc but I dont always get around to that.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I am not a huge advocate of scent.... I am rather paranoid that the wrong one will reduce my chances of a strike....so I will frequently just fish my lures as they are. I do,however, have great faith in WD-40 in some applications. I rarely dump a plug overboard for summer steelhead without a good spraydown. Don't believe I can get too much of that on the lure....and I believe I have seen it actually make a noticable difference in the success ratio for that specific fishery.

Same deal for prawn spinners in the spring using sticky liquid special mix (shrimp/anise).Again...just can't get enough special mix on a cured pink prawn. It's what the springers want!

But, when it comes to fishing natural fresh baits like anchovie or herring, I may put a dab of garlic etc. on the bait if the bite is dead slow. For the most part though, I have trouble tainting a natural bait scent with an artificial or synthesized conoction from a tackle store.

I do keep just about every flavor onboard,bt that is mostly for my scent-crazy buddies. I try to be a good host :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:cheers:Thanks, I have always been a big fan of scents and have always slathered. I like to inject my baits while fishing @ Astoria.
Thanks again for the RE's.
:wave:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts