IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

With enough spring salmon in the boat this year it's time to have some fun.

I'm going to catch my next springer using 3 generations of my families gear.

My 2000 North River 19' SJ - 3rd generation.

An old rod and reel the was my dads that he gave to me - 2nd generation.

A old spinner that my grandfather left to me with a note that it was a salmon killer - 1st generation.

Can anyone help me with a make of the spinner and a general idea of how old it might be. I have gone through my vintage tackle catalog and can not identify it. It has a half brass half chrome blade. A heavy stainless body. Real red glass beads. Red feathers attached to a treble hook. There is a partial patent number on the blade
_ _ 9819 and a partial brand name PO_ _ EER?
Grandpa was from the Longview / Kelso area so this lure spent time on the Columbia and cowlitz

I'm going to fish Sellwood for a few hours in the morning and I'll post if I have any success. I'm pretty sure this old spinner has at least one more fish left in it. If I am sucessfull I'll let my 11 year old son fish it until he catchs one making it generation number 4 and then put it away for one of his kids to use in the future. spinner / rod / reel etc.

Does anyone else fish vintage gear ?
:shrug:
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pearl. :cheers:

P.S. This is my first picture ever posted. Thanks for the tutorial Pete.

[ 05-07-2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: pearl ]

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Looks like an old skirted Poulson?

Ask Gonefishn or Straydog they should know they are old :grin:

[ 05-07-2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: *** Clerk ]

·
Registered
49 Posts
LOOKS LIKE AN OLD POPGEER SPINNER BUT IM NOT SURE THEY WERE AN OFF BRANCH OF LUHR JENSEN A LONG TIME AGO .. I THINK AND IM NOT 100% SURE GOOD LUCK

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
I am leaning more towards a Pop Geer which was a company that Luhr Jensen purchased but at my age my eye sight isn't what it used to be so don't quote me on that! :grin:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Pearl, I can't help with identifying the spinner but I have fished with my dad's and granddad's reels. I know the "feeling" and it's great. Last fall I caught steelhead using an old "Magic" spinning reel and a "UCO Steelhead Fly Reel". Now I'm trying to figure out how to cast a "Goite Casting Reel". Good Luck to You....

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Salmuai,

You got me on the Go-ite. I have never seen one so I looked it up. My book has three models listed from 1926,1928 and 1932. They're pretty cool looking. Do they cast or do you use them like a fly reel? Anyway good luck to you as well.

[ 05-08-2003, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: pearl ]

·
Registered
803 Posts
Pearl, Sorry it took so long to get back with you. The instructions say it is a casting reel. My coordination says to "keep trying". I've gotten some really dandy backlashes with this thing, but hey, line is cheap and I'm in the back yard with scissors and more line. So far I've been able to maintain and not throw it in the garbage can. I remember my dad telling me that it is a real b*#^@% to cast. He wasn't lying. Retie, retie, retie. Hang onto that spinner!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Rogue, actually they weren't a division or a knockoff of LJ at all. I was acquanted with one of the sons of the original owners of Popgeer. It was it's on product. I do believe LJ bought rights later on. Worst thing, when he sold out later on, he had all the original stamp dies for all his lures. Guess what? And I found this out when it was too late. His son threw all the dies AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He had no use for them, so took to the dump. YIKES!!!!!! But popgeer was it's own entity. They may have sold to LJ, but were a local tackle maker who sold to everyone.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Your spinner is most likely a Popgeer as others have eluded to. Picture is kind of tough to see. If you can send me a closeup picture, I'll look it up in my books. I collect old tackle so I have a fair sized reference library.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts