IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a jar of Amermans eggs and probably won't use the left overs for awhile. Can they be frozen. The jar doesn't say but they were in the fridge at the store. Thanks :smile:

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
I don't think Scott freezes very well, but I do think his dad might. :grin: I have a couple quarts frozen and have fished eggs after thawing them. they are fine. I think it's important, when freezing them, to make sure you cover the eggs completely. After my jar is full, I start freezing them, then add nectar to cover he eggs and fill the spaces to prevent freezer burn. I know there are lots of ways to do it, but this is easy for me and it seems to work.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I have heard that it is best to refridge them, then freeze them. Don't go from warm room temp to the freezer. Chill them first.

Then... taste one to make sure... OR NOT! :smile:

Don't take me seriously, OK? About eating them, that is! :smile: They just look so DARN good!

I need some too. I wish I could find them here on the coast! SCOTT!!!

Jen

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
If he bought the jar of precured eggs, they probably have been frozen once already.

REfreezing them is NOT OK and will result in mush. If he cured them himself using Scotts cure then they are OK to freeze once, but not freeze -then thaw - then refreeze...

UG

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
What UG said. Keep in fridge, use them up, buy more.

If the jar is half full (or half empty) you might try using one of those long skinny bar-b-que lighters to burn the oxegen out of the jar (insert light till flame goes out due to lack of O2 then seal and fridge). Helps to lessen germs and mold.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Freezing them more than once will create small cracks in the egg membrane. Your eggs won't last very long while fishing!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Not only have I frozen them, but I have thawed them, fished and re-frozen them numerous times with little or no change in performance.

DO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THEM COLD WHILE FISHING, as warm or hot eggs will ooze all over the place and not really be re-usable.

HC

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that the jar hasn't been opened yet. I put them in the freezer so hopefully all is well at $25.00.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you have a vacume sealer - get those reusuable lids for jars - they're designed to fit multiple sizes or types of containers.

I found them on sales at fredy's for half price once. picked up 6 or so... use them on the current eggs i'm using... so you can seal them and fridge them.. then use and reseal.... works great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Wetaline,
Could you elaborate?

Do vacuum sealers have an attachment for these re-usable lids, or how are the vacuum sealers/re-usable lids utilized?

Thanks,
fishyone :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts