Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hoboy:

[ 09-26-2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: GutshotApe ]

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just one problem after another.
:mad: :mad:
Losers! Need to be thined out of the gene pool!!
Those shots make me sick!

[ 09-22-2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: GL2 ]

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
That looks like the gravel mining operation just below Lorans on the lower Wilson.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Wow. They want to make it look like a Southern California river. Lovely.

happybrew

G

·
Looks like Donaldson's on the lower Wilson to me. I think there has been gravel removal there before but am not sure.
Either way it's an ugly thing to see.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Thank you Stew,that's what I meant.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Good job GSA. Let us know where this is taking place. As soon as the pictures opened the word "abortion" popped into my mind. :hoboy:

Thanks! Get on 'em Gutshot!

Dan

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
Someone else chime in here if you know different, but:

In oregon, any new development that occurs in a jurisdictional wetland or the channel of a jurisdictional water of the state that includes the removal or addition of more than 50 cubic yards of material requires a joint Clean Water Act 404 permit. To get this permit, you apply to the oregon division of state lands(DSL), who consult with the local office of the US Army corps of engineers. If there is a ESA or wildlife aspect to the application, it is also reviewed by US fish and widlife and NOAA fisheries. Additionally, many counties and municipalities require permiting via environmental zoning or required riparian setback codes.

Sound like a nightmare? It is, but it does work to discourage people from trying to undertake stuff like this.

If this "project" was construed as ongoing maintnenance of some kind, than it may have found it's way under the radar legally. A friendly call to DSL at 503-378-3805 may answer some of your questions. Prepare to get passed on from one extenstion to the next till you find someone who has a clue what you're talking about.

If it is being done legally, there is probably some mitigation planned. If it is being done illegally, you should consider reporting it.

My 2cents.
Darian

·
Administrator
119,603 Posts
Gravel mining operations are allowed only for a few weeks (or some small window) in the late summer/fall by people who have grandfather clauses, I believe. At least, on most coastal rivers here. It's ugly, huh?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Yep, the Calapooia has ESA listed salmon and steelhead, and no, it doesn't have enough water in it to widen it out that much and expect the fish to survive. That can't possibly be legal. Not at all.

The funny thing is, doing that to a river does not decrease the risk of flooding, it increases it downstream of where it was widened out. Rather than lingering in an area and spreading out and soaking in, the water is forced to move rapidly downstream. The larger volume moving downstream increases the risk of flooding downstream of where the streambed was altered. Whatever water he prevents from "flooding" his property will simply be forced onto his downstream neighbor's property, on top of whatever water would be there anyway. If he and his neighbor would both see a 1 foot rise in the river, he's sending that extra water to his neighbor making the river rise much more than a foot. Nice neighbor.

happybrew

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
GSA, Environmental Activist.
I like it!

Keep us up to date on what you find out.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
GSA,if this is the lower Wilson,this operation has been going on at least 25yrs. One of the big problems on the lower Wilson as far as floods are concered,is the fact of channelization. The river is a ditch from the Guide Shop to the mouth. If the river was allowed to spread out and mieander more,floods would be reduced. This would also permote back waters,which are very benifical to fish in high flow conditions.

[ 09-23-2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Freespool,

GSA’s 09-22-2003 10:09 PM post:

It’s the Calapooia...a small Willamette tributary but one with wild spring chinook and winter steelhead...both ESA listed, I think.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Dan

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
As said in an earlier post, this has been going on for many, many years. I watched them take rock off many gravel bars back in the 60's. I'm suprised no one has mentioned the amount of gravel that is removed from the Kilchis and Trask rivers also.

This is nothing new to the Tillamook area, it's not right, but nothing new. All the gravel that is taken off Donaldson's bar and the lower Kilchis is trucked to the rock crusher located on the Kilchis river just below the old logging bridge.

·
Registered
370 Posts
ya know, I thought I had seen something simulair on the Kilchis. A couple "dairy" bridges down from the logging road. Last fall it looked pretty messed up! :mad:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I wasn't going to reply to this thread but cannot stop looking at how ugly that is. I've heard about banding together but what exactly can we do? Even if I didn't give a rat's rear about fish, that's downright ugly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts