IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of sounding completely ignorant, I am unclear how the state decides how many fish commercial fisherman get to keep v.s sportsman. I am slightly outraged that the nets are in the Columbia for the commercial guys when we, sportsman, are limited to certain days of the week, as well certain stretches of river that we can fish.
My understanding is that these commercial fisherman, fishing for salmon, have a hard time breaking even on this fishery?? Has the state ever considered just buying them out? Would it make more sense from an economic standpoint?
Here is another question. Since the sportsman have been so generous to offer to pay more for the priviledge to fish for these "hatchery raised salmon", do the commercial guys get hit with a license fee increase as well???? Should they??? YES!!!!! It is very clear that they benefit more than you or I. Anybody???

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hook, thanks for the message. I completely agree with you on this one. Something should have been done about this years ago! Harvesting at the ladder makes more sense from several standpoints. Much less risk of netting a native fish. The cost of harvesting for the commercial people would be 1/1000th of what it currently cost them to be out there with boats and nets. etc. Fish wheel???? Absurd!!! People we need to be able to hand this, mostly corrupted, system to the next generation and pray that they can do a much better job than we have.
The state should have bought these commercial guys out a long time ago. This method of harvesting is outdated and needs to be stopped!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.