IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if sand shrimp can be cured to make them a little sturdier. or is there a better way to keep them on the hook? I use a bait loop and will half hitch around the shrimp, but more often than not come apart on the cast.

Just tryin to get smarter

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
Yes they can, they are called Prawns! The good ones are available at BC angling post.

What are you casting with? How far are you trying to cast? They should stay on the hook for a while. Certianly longer than 1 cast.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last time I was fishing was at Oxbow. Casting about 75-100 feet with 3 oz lead. Half the time half the shrimp would come off. Not enough left after sitting in the current for a while to cast back in after a bait check. Want to try surf fishing where I'll be trying to throw it 250 yards(well...a long way, anyway) with a 14 foot surf rod. Was going to try to get my own shrimp, maybe should stick to a more solid bait?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I use a fantastic fine cotton stretch string and give the shrimp a couple of quick wraps (when sturgeon fishing). This is NOT the same string found at GI Joes or other tackle shops. The only place I've been able to find it is at TACKLE TIME at Warrenton Marina. This string is very "whispy", alot like a spider web and very delicate. It works great and is darn near invisible. The string comes in a very small clear tube about 2 inches long. I will never use that other stretch wrap string after using this stuff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The wrap is the key for surf fishing. I've always used the low-grade elastic thread (I never knew there was a premium! <grin>).

When you get to 150 yards, give me a call. I'll pay you for lessons! I'm lucky to get 50 yards with a 14' pole, but it's probably my reel or something of the sort.

I'm going to call you on your casting. If you're whipping a long pole over your head in a quick jerk, like a trout cast, the shrimp is going to fly sideways through time and off your hook. I give the pole a few sideways mini-casts while it is still behind me. I'm just trying to get the weight in motion and get tension on the line. Then I (try to) transition to a smooth, over the head cast without letting the weight stop moving. When the dance is just right, you will never feel a bounce or pull on the line as the weight goes over your head. Just a constant pressure. The shrimp won't realize it's been cast until it hits the water.

There is actually a book written by some east coast fellow about a surf cast involving spinning around a few times before letting the weight go. Can't really do that at oxbow without knocking a few toupe's in the wind though.

And, with all the ZipperLip accusations going around, I'll give you my old-man secret. Start with good fresh shrimp (maries). Then get a container of clam necks. Once you've got the shrimp on the hook (I thread it on through the upper carapace and the tail shell), cut a small bit of clam neck and slide it over the barb of your hook. This acts as a stop so the shrimp can't slide off the end of the hook. Then I do the quick wrap with elastic near the top of the hook. That'll get it out there. After 10 minutes in the surf though, it's usally time for a fresh soldier.

Tinned Fish

·
Registered
624 Posts
You might also try a "threader" one with a small hollow tube as a threader. I use this whenever I fish with shrimp and they stay on fairly well with a half hitch on the tail.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
i used to "pitch" bait all the time. it's really cool when you spend the money for precious fresh, good looking sandshrimp, the two or three minutes to get it positioned on your hook just right, then watch it go flying to pieces the first time you cast it.

first, your cast. i'm fishing a three ounce bobber setup and haven't had as much of a problem this year. i slowly swing the rod around sideways behind me and stop. when i go to cast, i just accelerate over the top in a smooth but fairly brisk cast.

second, rigging the bait. i used to just use the tail and pitch the head. this year i tried the stretchy thread and a whole shrimp. it worked okay but when i did finally lose the shrimp and have to rebait i had to get the thread off the hooks which is kind of a pain. what i started doing was hooking the shrimp through the body on my lower hook and using the bait loop on my upper hook to hold the head. it's works pretty well, baits up quickly and has a decent presentation. i haven't caught any fish on this presentation so i can't vouch for it's usefulness.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Originally posted by Wannacatchem
Want to try surf fishing where I'll be trying to throw it 250 yards(well...a long way, anyway) with a 14 foot surf rod
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What the heck you fishin for tuna. Most of your surf fishin type species (perch) are actually caught in the surf. There is no need to cast more than 50 yards on most occasions.

I driftfish alot with sandshrimp and usually end up having to change my bait because it is no longer fresh before I lose it. Fishing a whole shrimp I use a #1 hook put through the first tail knuckle (from top down) then I thread it from the bottom back up through the last knuckle before you get to the yellow goo. Pull hook up to side of body right below eyes and run point through to other side. Pull line tight, halfhitch around tail and Voila, threaded shrimp.

If your going to use it for surf fishing try wrapping on the hook with stretchy thread. The new clear kind.

Oh, and when you get to 250 yards please drop me a line so I can come video tape you. :rolleyes: :grin: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,615 Posts
I have always sewn mine on just like Tanner does, they will take some abuse if attached in this manner.

JK

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where can I get the "clear" stretchy thread, or the gossamer stuff in an earlier reply. I have a GI Joe close by and haven't seen it there. Most likely heading to barview this weekend to try the surf thing, can I get it in Tillamook?

·
Registered
384 Posts
As Ampersat mentioned he used to do, I've always pinched the head and threaded the hook through the top section, starting from underneath the shrimp,and then brought the hook back threw closer to the tail, and then hook the uppemost part threw my eggloop....if that makes sense. The shrimp, tail down, ends up comforming to the hook in a similar shape. Wish I had a picture but imagine the bottom 2/3's of the shrimp folded on top of a hook, eye of the hook where the head of the shrimp should be. Stays one well, even when putting a glob of eggs in the egg loop when fishing for salmon...ye old Oregon Speedball.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts