IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure why not as long as it has a clean surface to bond to. I can't imagine ripping it all off to fix just a small patch. Hey and if the patch job doen't work then go to the extra trouble and expense of taking that stuff off.Ehhhh...

676 Posts
You should try to chip away at the edges to make sure there is nothing else loose. After that then sand the edges down so the coat-it plends into the alluminum. Sand about six inches around baren spot. Then spread the coat-it over the bare alluminum and the existing coat-it. This should make it last

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would think you can patch it. I would peel the existing off until the coat-it is fully adhered. Prep the aluminum and the edge of the existing coat-it and apply the new coat-it. I just went to the TAP plastics website to see if they had any info on it. Couldn't find any. I have a couple of cans of it at home. I will see if there is anything on can about repairs.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have done this a couple of times - you can patch it. Biggest challenge with coat it is getting it to adhere.

Here's the trick:
- remove all the loose/nonadhered stuff. I used a putty knife and paint scraper
- Rough up the exposed aluminum bottom underneath and edges of coat it (2-3" overlap) with 100 grit Sandpaper (sanding wheel goes the fastest but you can do it by hand)
- Get the area you want to coat very clean. I scrub first with soap and water then use alcohol to make sure its very clean and dry.
- put on the coat per the directions. Its best to do this in warm weather outside in the sun. I wouldnt even try it less than 60 degrees - takes forever.
- Use a high quality roller with tough/short knap. the cheap ones turn into spackling compound

first time i put the stuff on, i didnt do it right and about 40% came off in a year. The next time I patched it per the above directions - no problems.

good luck
FF

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I discovered a crack in my drift boat Coat-It. I broke off the lose portions to reveal some minor pitting and a small dent. The edges of the Coat-It look to be adhering OK, but now I need to know if I can patch the spot after preparing the aluminum or do I need to redo the entire bottom? If I can get the Coat-It to adhere to the edges of the older coat I can get that done on the first warm day. If the entire bottom needs to be done I'll be looking to rent a shop for a couple days or wait until July.

The bare aluminum measures about 16"x 12". I'm sure if I used it drifting, that would be where a rock would bite again. The bump came on the McKenzie last year just upriver of Hayden bridge. I didn't see the crack until now.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Thanks Fish Forever from another Hillsboro resident. Thanks for mentioning the alcohol in the prep work. I've ordered the two pounder Coat-It from TAP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts