IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umatilla river? Is it a bank fisherie or boat? What are the favorite baits up there? Anything you can tell me would help. Going up to Hermiston to see friends this weekend and thought I might stop by and see how it's doin! Thanks :smile:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I used to live up there and knew most of that river. That was a while ago so I can't tell you too much now. There isn't a lot of public bank access on the river. Most of it is below Three Mile Dam to the mouth, and again up around Stanfield/Echo, then in Pendleton to my recollection. There are some places on the back road to Pendleton from Echo, but there may or may not be fish up there. I think you can get the latest counts from Three Mile Dam online from the Umatilla Tribe site. There also aren't alot of boat ramps to put in at either, mostly up around Pendleton, so if you want to stay near Hermiston, banking it is probably more practical. Bait-wise, I think most used eggs and/or sandshrimp.

You might also consider trying the Columbia instead (I think its open but check). Guys do pretty well in the forebay of McNary Dam, either from a boat or bank, and there is a good locals spot right at Irrigon Fish Hatchery for banking it.

None of this is guaranteed to be accurate, but no one else responded, so....

Last resort, call High Desert Marine in Hermiston and ask them.....or the ODFW office there in town.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Fishing in pendleton under the 11th street bridge is a good bet, This is the deadline I believe, above is tribal. There is no boat access in the pendleton area, way too shallow and rocky, some have floated below reith to the echo area, but there are no boat ramps,also beware of fencing which crosses the river. Below echo water tends to slow alot almost stagnant. A good area down river is the chinaman hole which is below 3 mile dam about a mile. There is a jeep trail which leads down to it some people even drive thier rigs down and across a shallow portion of the river to an island just above the hole. This hole can get busy at times. Fishing the mouth is another good area, You can pick up an occasional walleye while trolling for springers or falls. Fish out here have to be clipped while fish caught above the footbridge in umatilla are not required to be clipped I believe. Eggs are favored at the chinaman and Pendleton, plugs, trolling at the mouth.

·
Registered
186 Posts
salmonking,
this is a little unrelated, but a few weeks back i sent you an email regarding where to fish for chums. Did you ever get that email? Just curuious, i never heard back from you.

Chumsalmon

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE REPLYS. I WILL HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT AND SEE WHAT IS GOING ON. I WILL REPORT BACK IF I HAVE ANY "GOOD" NEWS.

ALSO, CHUMSALMON, I DO NOT THINK I EVER DID RECEIVE A LETTER FROM YOU. I CAN REMEMBER BEING DISAPPOINTED. SORRY, IF IT DID COME THROUGH, I MISSED IT SOMEHOW. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU THOUGH. THANKS AGAIN...

·
Registered
186 Posts
o.k., that makes sense then,
i kept thinking to myself, boy for the detailed descriptions i gave i'm surprised i didn't even get a thank you out of it. So i'll send you another email with the same info. i sent before. Guess i should have tried to contact you sooner.
well, send me your email and i'll fill you in on the spot.

my email is [email protected]
i check it fairly often and will get back to you as soon as i see it.

chumsalmon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts