IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After redoing my carberators on my motor. I can now get my boat on plane and hold the speed at 45 mph with a full tank of gas 2 people on board and gear. My motor is a 115 merc jet. Just curios what other people get out of thier 115 motors. Also my boat is a 18 foot flattie.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I once got a true 53 mph with my 16 ft flattie and a 200 jet. 'Til I tried to turn. Just like throwing a saucer across the water. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That was when his boat was called Miss Thumper and he won the hydroplane race at Seafair! Man that jet fuel is something else. :shocked: He leveled off about 10 feet above the course! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
45mph :whazzup: that seems too fast,we had a 140hp on a 17.5'G3 and there is no way that thing would go 45mph may be 30-35+ on gps. Also a friend has a 19' north river w/ a 200 hp merc super pump and ss impeller and it will only do 42mph on GPS. I'm not saying it can't do 45mph it's just hard to belive. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I am with Quick Fisher. Not trying to put your story down, but I just don't buy it. Seems awfully fast to me. Use a good GPS and don't rely on those cheezy pinwheel speedo gizmos that come with depthfinders.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, I have pulled 45 miles per hour out of mine and it is a 115 Evinrude( Factory 80 jet power), I weigh 280 lbs and my little brother who is 190, on the south sound in perfect ripply 3 inch chop, the boat is a 1997 Wooldridge Alaskan, 17,6``, I have since taken out the three blade aluminum impeller and put in a four blade stainless and havent gotten it above about 38 mph since,but it picks up quicker with more weight and gets up on step alot faster, with the stainless. :grin:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only guessed on the speed of my boat. Me and my brother only weigh 130 each. It just seems like it goes faster than 35.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
If I had to "guess" on the speed of my boat, I would say it is topping out around 84 miles an hour. Thats with a 75 horse motor on a 22 foot sled, 4 guys and a 150 qt cooler full of beer and ice.

:laugh:

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
18 foot duckworth, 115 yamaha jet, top speed going down river on the Columbia with 2 people and gear is 32mph (gps).

Of course I have the windshield creating air drag :rolleyes:

[ 08-12-2003, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have an 18' boat with a 115 Merc, but my boat is a deep V, and I have a prop. I top out at 42 MPH per GPS. The paddle wheel speedometer is not accurate except at speeds under 25 MPH, which is the speed I calibrated it at.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just Saturday I got 45 with my 115 Merc on a 19 Smoker Ospry. Full tank, me and Elwix and full fishing gear and ice chest. I run a 17" prop @ 5700 RPM

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have been able to hit 41 MPH with my 18'7" Willie forward helm, with a Yamaha 225 Jet, 2 people, 1/2 tank of gas, going downriver in current. This is GPS rated...

Hitting 45 with a 115 is possible....but heck, I can't even get there!

Scott

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The cool thing about running an outboard jet like that at full throttle is when you hit a little chop and your motor "barks" at ya.

I had a 115 jet on an 18' Alumaweld Sea Dory and I had to rebuild the motor twice because I wanted to "see how fast I could get it to go".

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i got a 115 yamy 17' semi v sled with a tuned shoe, 32 to 36 mph per gps max

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
We can get about 31-32 with 4 people and a cooler of fish with our 140/115 Suzuki, and 36-37 with just 2 people and no fish. It is an 18 foot TJ with heavy rails and top.

·
Registered
12,295 Posts
I passed the "Black rocket" the other day in a "solid" 3' chop, running my 18' flattie/150 Yamaha pump at half throttle, OK closer to 3/4 throttle. Carrying 200# of ice, 4 guys, 2 dogs and a pony keg of "Pintail ale"!!! :wink: :grin:

Seriously I've been in "glitter boats" at 50mph+ 45 may be possible but that's FAST for a outboard sled!! How do you get speed like that?

·
Registered
522 Posts
let me just add that if I hit any type of wake or even a moberate chop, everything inclouding me will fly out of the boat!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Zaq,

I have a cousin that has a 22' boat that will go that fast, but it isn't a sled and it isn't a 75hp motor. :wink: :grin: He has a 22' Skeeter Bass Boat with a 225 Yamaha V-Max with a ******* plate. It will go 83mph off of GPS with just him in it. He lives in Texas and is on the Bassmaster Tour.

It takes a lot of horsepower to get in the upper 40's to low 50's even with a prop boat. A friend of mine has a 24' Hardtop sled with 400hp of props on it and it will only go 60mph.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts