IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going over to the Deschutes Second week in July with a friend from out of town. We will drift from Warm Springs down to Trout Creek. We would like to go half way down and camp for the night. Do you need permits for camping and if so where do you get them. I know about the river permits for fishing but nothing about the camping. Also can you camp anywhere or just designated areas. Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
There are plenty of campsites on that stretch, real plentiful on the 2nd half of the float, with few on the first half. No special permits needed, but I believe they require a porta-potty to be carried along with the boat even though there are outhouses at almost every campsite. I've never brought one and have floated in many times each year and just use the outhouses....just that I've heard you need them and they'll start cracking down sooner or later. You won't be able to have an open fire as they are banned after 5/31. And you have to camp in a designated area, non of which are on the Indian Reservation side. You will need an "Indian" permit if you want to fish on that side.
Tight Lines

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I think today's outdoor section of the oregonian adressed this issue about fees and camping on the deschutes, new designated camp areas and higher week-end fees. I think it also specified you are required to have a portable toilet along for the ride because all the river side crappers are full :blush:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
:depressed: population increase wrecking more of my home state. :depressed: PLEASE please please careful of this special place.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Chummer is right, there is an article in today's Oregonian sports section with all the details about camping, fee's, etc. on the Deschutes.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
population increase wrecking more of my home state. PLEASE please please careful of this special place.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">lost sailor, I couldn't agree more buddy. 25-30 years ago, my dad and I used to drift the Deschutes all the time. It wasn't unusual to not see anyone else on your particular stretch of river. That's not to say they weren't there, they were just spread out. Now you can walk across the river on all of the rafts full of drunken, waterfighting idiots.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have heard that you may be made to break camp if you do not have a portable toilet. Also, it must be set-up and ready to use.

I, for one, like this new rule. I'm tired of finding "evidence" next to trials, bushes around camping areas etc.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
You well need a 5 gallon bucket for a potty, they are cool with that.
If you need camping permit it would have to do with warm spring tribe.

I know they have cracked down at Sheers Bridge aera, The Ladder Hole just befor you cross the bridge on the left side, 75% of the people are payimg the 10.00 bucks a night. I don't know on the east side.

You can park on the west side just under the railroad tracks, they want the whole auto off the pavement.
If you park on the north bound lanes the tribal officer well ask you to move.
You cant camp on the west side as I have been waken at 1:00 am by them and asked to move some where else.

I would gess that there a fee some where even for those who float down and spend the night.

THAY WELL PASS A 5 GALLON BUCKET.

HAVE FUN, THERE WELL BE RAFTERS, IT WELL BE HOT.
Tight lines hope this well help you all out. Mr.A :cheers:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Mr. A,

Not trying to be contrary, but everyone should go to www.boaterpass.com, click on portable toilet information and read the requirements. I don't think a 5 gallon bucket is going to do the trick. It must be an approved unit.

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
The huge population increase has not just affected the quality experience on the Deschutes. Every river in the NW has seen huge use increases in recent years.

So, while it is important to be careful to leave no trace on the Deschutes, it is even more important to leave no trace on every water we visit.

Double check on the regs as far as what is an acceptable toilet. They sure as heck don't let any ordinary 5 gallon bucket fly on the John Day. I doubt the regs for the D are any different.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Buc and Flatfish,
Nice to hear that you support clean rivers, EVERYWHERE. I was born, raised, educated, started a business and still live in Oregon with my wife and two daughters. I own river front property. I have had to ask fisherman way to many times not to use our backyard as a portable toilet. The stories I could tell you about inconsiderate slobs who think that they can just go any time any place even when property owners are in their backyard. No trace camping so should be a law. Don't leave anything and remember not all property is Public.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts