IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if many people do this? I was thinking of camping out there over July 4th weekend, and was wondering if it gets pretty packed? I figured it would be perfect timing for a nice fireworks show, and sturgeon fishing that opens to retention on July 1. If you've done this, and have any info, let me know. I don't really want to camp in a party, I would rather camp away from people, with just the family.

Thanks!

--Skahorse

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's been a while since I've done that, but last time I did I remember waves breaking over the bow of my uncles older ski boat while driving back after the fireworks. Government Island will be a madhouse, guaranteed, especially if the weather is nice. And, since the 4th is on a Friday, that will bring even more people out. I will say that it is a great place to watch the show on the 4th. Just be careful as there will surely be a lot of folks worthy of BUII's driving around on the water.

Steelie28

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Used to be really fun... we used to camp in the St Helens area on the Washington side and watch the St Helens fireworks. Bagged it a couple years ago when the crowds of drunk teenagers got annoying. Not really a family event anymore. Susprised no one has died, drunk kids, water, and boats dont seem a good mix, but enforcement never seems to show up. I was told that this was cause all the enforcement boats are up by Ft. Vancouver or the Portland Waterfront on this night.

UG

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
UG- it's still fun, just anchor up at Sand Island right under the fireworks (well-almost under). This will be the first year we haven't done it in ages. Took the boat down early this year cause of the Sturg closure.
We anchor up just below the marker/wing dam. Fireworks are just up the creek a hair. Best view in town. You can pull a small boat right up on the beach same area and camp. It's been mello every year. Maybe it's cause the St Helens cops can see ya from town and the County Patrol boats stick around that side too. :cheers:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have both camped and boated the fourth for years now. I do love it, but the ride back to the camp after the fireworks is a bit crazy. Lots of people drink, lots of boats. But if your careful, its a blast. Also, if the wind is blowing the wrong direction, you get all the ash from the show in your eyes and boat.

As for the camping, Gov. Island is always packed on the west tip. oregon side.

However, there are a few secluded spots on the east tip, WA. side of the river, the spots are up in the trees just west of the dune where many people fish for steelhead and salmon. If you get the spot, there is really no room for anyone else to move in too close. But I just remember camping there about four years ago, havent really checked it out since then.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Don't tell anyone I told you this, but, Skamania Island with a boat rubber band for anchoring. We do this a lot and catch sturgeon and eat it with foil while camping on the beach. It's all yours.

Catch an oversize to exercise and then chow on a keeper. Doesn't get any better.

---D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do this every year. We plan on about 4-5 days out on an island near westport. There are about 4-5 different camp sites on the island I go to, and they fill up fast for the weekends.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We do this alot each summer, usually starting with the 4th of July weekend. Spots usually fill up fast every weekend after that till the first of Sept. We camp on Walker island just west of Longview. Quick run from the Willow grove boat launch. Not much of a few of the fireworks of Longview, but we usually make plenty of our own...hahaha!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also camp several times each summer in the Longview area. The 4th weekend is always the busiest, but there are lots of primitive spots. I like to find a spot with good current close to the beach and plunk for steelhead while I'm camping. Remember that when fishing from land, you need a license for whichever side of the shipping channel you are fishing from.

For viewing fireworks in that area, the only place you can really see them from a camp site is at the top end of Lord Island, and then it is still a ways away. You could anchor your boat near the mills and probably watch from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts