IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering about doing some camping/fishing trips on the lower Columbia this summer. I have seen some areas for camping mentioned, but I was wondering if anyone could clue me in a bit more. I'm considering any area from the mouth upstream.

My thought is to boat in and then fish for steelhead or summer chinook. Are there any islands that have primitive camp sites? I will have a 17ft aluminum outboard, will this be difficult ot moore overnight?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Sandy Island, just North of Rainier (directly out from the Goble landing) is pretty decent.

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You can camp on the islands of the Lewis & Clark NWR in the lower estuary...but be aware of tides & winds down there. A few spots are off limits (don't want to disturb the Caspian terns :wink: )...I imagine there is a website you could check for details. :whazzup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sand Island off of St. Helens has camp sites, picnic tables, and an outhouse. I don't believe there is running water. There is also moorage on the inside of the island to tie your boat up, which you can do for up to 7 days, according to the sign.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you have to leave your boat in the river, I would suggest an Anchor Buddy. It's basically a big bungee cord you attach your anchor to your bow with. You then attach a second rope to your stern, and tie this off to a tree on the shore. Anchor your boat out far enough to keep it off the beach during low tide, an "stretch" it back when you need to retreive it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pro C, I have seen those (anchor buddys), sounds like a good piece of equiptment to have. Thanks to everybody for the info.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
The tide is a problem but the wakes of the ships are the real attention getters. :shocked:

Keep your boat far enough offshore that even at low tide it is riding outside the breaker line and make sure you have enough anchor and enough line to keep it secure when riding the rollers. I have done this many times with no problems but the ride can be thrilling when the boat pitches up at a 45 degree angle when you are sleeping onboard.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
As 24 48 said the island just off gobal is a good place to camp. Depending on when you go. There are not any established camp sites, No tables or potties. You will need to take everything. We used to camp there alot. Best to go out in the middle of the week and find a good spot. There is a bunch of poeple who camp out there now days. Take a chain saw and you can find all the firewood you will need.

Alway seems to be one bunch with the PWC (wave runner) who spoil everything.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hiya, I'm guessing that you are asking about the Columbia down stream of Bonni.
First, the tide has more effect the closer you get to Astoria. I live on the river at Scappoose and we might see a foot or so on a normal tide. However, the islands above Tounge Point can see several feet.
Second, be sure to get a river cruising atlas. I'm sure you can find one there in you local marine supply store..There are some great places to boat camp, I've done it for years. There are very few( maybe only one--Sand Island at St. Helens )established camp sites on the islands. But if you keep in mind the freighter wakes
( don't camp directly on the mainstream Columbia), and the tide effect, you'll find most areas really cool and hardly any other people. I don't understand why so fer people camp this way, it's beautiful and very uncrowded.
If you don't have sturgeon gear and /or don't know how to fish for them ---learn --- you'll have a ball!!!
If I can be any other help, e-mail me and I'll give you my ph#.
Terry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts