IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew...finally got one I could take a pic of. Had two on Monday but lost one to bent hooks and one was a native.

The water is real muddy so I was kind of surprised they were biting. I saw two other salmon caught. One guy was anchored near the mouth of Chinook Landing and another Coho where I was trolling, upriver WA side of Lady Island.

I got mine on this rig. The other one I saw caught was on a red/orange plug. I was trolling in 10 feet of water about 2mph.

[ 10-26-2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: BrionLutz ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kingfisher,

Hey...the way my fall Chinook season went (down the hopper), I'll probably be putting flyers on windshields at the Safeway to make up for lost bragging time.

Hope to make up for it with the Coho and some Tillamook Chinook.

Brion

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Way to go Brion, :cheers: Very slow out there of late...i noticed the fuzzyness of the river when i launched this afternoon, fished all my favorite spots...i saw fish roll...boil... :shocked: but no action. I'm gonna fish it till the east wind blows me away....then i'm a bankie :tongue:

thanks for the report,

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Remeber I'm new what is the porpose of removing the end hook and putting a swivel on the bottom? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOT2FISH: The deal with the swivels and single hook is to improve the hooking ability of the lure. The factory trebles that are tight to the body of the lure often lose fish. The snap rings and barrel swivel prevent the fish from twisting the hooks against the lure and using the leverage as the twist and turn to pull the hooks out. They also position the hook a bit better.

Ratbaby: I don't think these are Washougal fish. When the ODFW transports salmon smolts around the dams, they barge and dump them right above Lady Island. I think the fish come back there and stage before heading up to their original river.

My personal theory there, maybe others can say fer shure why that is a good Coho spot. I got my last one trolling there November 23 last year.

Brion

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mrdorkfish,

On it being slow "late", I noticed that the three fish I saw caught (including mine) were from 10-11:30. The high tide was 8:00AM for Ellsworth so probably 9AM(?) up at Lady Island.

So high tide and the first couple hours of outgoing?

You notice any patterns?

Brion

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Brion, That's about how it's been that i can notice too...as soon as it starts out and a couple hours after i have seen action (not mine) :depressed: I just looked at the numbers... :hoboy: very sad. I'm gonna keep trying..i love to "fish" no matter if i catch or not :grin:

Mrdorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mrdorkfish,

That's about how it's been that i can notice too...as soon as it starts out and a couple hours after i have seen action (not mine)
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Whatchutalkin! You've been posting some great shots of recent Coho and your kids with late Fall Chinook.

I'll be fishing that through November between sneaking down to Tillamook for a couple days. It produced until Thanksgiving last year.

Brion

·
Registered
19,909 Posts
MDF,I keep getting a quick look at you out there,but your always moving the other direction. I'll be out Thur. afternoon maybe we'll see one another then. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Brion, I've really stunk it up out there this year...only one Coho...well..a couple jacks but like i said earlier...i would have about 8 or so by now last year at this time... freespool...I'll be fishing it hard ALL day thursday...so give me a yell....wave your arms... :grin:

see ya then,

MrDorkfish

Louis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts