IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
119,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That smoked salmon was SO good!

It was so good that I would please, please, beg for the recipe! :smile:

I love how sweet it is! I'm tired of salty smoked.. I was on that kick for a while, but after yours, now I want it like that!

Thanks for sharing!

:dance: Jen

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have to agree 100 per5Cent with you Jen. I had some yesterday and it was soooooooooooooooo
good! :bowdown: :dance: :cheers:
:cool:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well I don't know what 5cents uses but if want my 2 cents worth...if you like a sweet smoked salmon get yourself a jug of Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce from Costco and soak it in that overnight, pat dry and set 1 hour, Put on smoker with alternate alder chips then apple chips. I have had no complaints from my test specimins. Enjoy

Bob

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I use 2 pounds of brown sugar to one cup of salt, for a dry brine. Thats how i get the sweeter taste w/o the saltiness. And apple chips.

·
Administrator
119,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't you need SOME salt to cure it, though?
J

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
It cures nicely with the little bit of salt. I usually go about 6 hours on the cure time in the fridge, untill its carmalized. Then i rinse the goop off and pat dry and overnight it in the fridge, then smoke till done. Its sweet and moist. I got the recipe from my uncle and i have been told by more than one person that its the best theyve ever eaten. Ive found that by curing it in 6 hours as opposed to overnight it keeps it moist and less salty tasting. Im curious what 5-cents recipe is, allways like to try different things. I just hope he dosent protect it like the carrot milk. :wink:

[ 09-13-2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Administrator
119,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll ban him if he doesn't spill the brine.

Clappy hands. :dance:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Fisherdan,do you use two pounds of brown suger or two cups ???to one cup salt ???
Bob :whazzup:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Two pounds of brown sugar to 1 cup of salt. I buy the 2 pound bags of C&H and mix in a cup of non-iodized salt, just to keep it consistent.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Much like Carrot Milk, our smoked salmon recipe is top secret. Email me, I might steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Jen,use your standard 1 cup canning salt to 3 cups brown sugar,add just enough water to make every thing friendly. Put in the frig. for 12-24hrs. rinse under running cold water,pat dry. Next disolve brown sugar in water,make it fairly strong. Dip each piece of fish in brown sugar mixture,put on cookie sheet until dry,or not sticky. Next into the smoker,use whatever combo of chips you normally use.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,247 Posts
G

·
Use the "Smoked Salmon Deluxe" receipe in the Little Chief receipe book. Substitute the sugar with brown sugar. Brine it at least 24 hours and cut into smaller (than some do) size pieces.

Coat each piece with brown sugar for the drying time (dry to a candy coating) after the brine, prior to going in the smoker.

I heard FIB's is to die for though. :wink:

Rick

[ 09-13-2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh yeah I'll :cheers: to that ******. Anyone's smoke salmon is to die for if all you need to do is eat it :grin:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I will share
:wink:

1 bag dark brown sugar
2/3 cup salt
4 Tbsp garlic salt
4 Tbsp onion salt
4 Tbsp celery salt
4 Tbsp powdered mustard
4 Tbsp dried lemon peel
4 Tbsp pepper

Mix all ingredents in a large bowl.

This is a dry brine with no water. Use a large glass or plastic container, I like to use one of theose drawers from the top of a 150 quart cooler. Place a thin layer of brine then a layer of fish then a layer of brine and so on until the layers fill the container. Put in fridge. The fish will really juice up and I use a turkey baster to baste the top through the brining process.

I like to let then brine for 2 days for thick slices of fish and 24 hours for thinner. Leaving it in longer will make the fish sweeter if you want.

Do not rinse the fish before smoking. Before placing on the rack coat with the juice and let it sit for about a half-hour or so to glaze up a little.

Place in smoker and smoke it for 25% less than you normally would. Take out and put on pans. Coat the fish with honey or terriake (sp??) sauce and put in a 325lb oven until the edges of the fish start turning dark brown on the edges, usually 25-30 minutes. Let cool and eat!

The oven process will finish your fish and put a honey glaze on it!

Enjoy!

:cheers:

[ 09-13-2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Jeez, didnt know it would insight a riot. I was carrying on with the whole carrot milk mystique. I would have gladly shared the recipe, I believe Bobby originated it for the TCM crew, so I gots to give hime the props.
I will try to share more.........

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Z-Dog thats mine buddy :wink: Hey you guys got some nice fish today :cheers: We must unite next week... we can get tons of steelies or... :wink:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Yeah, I didn't read your recipe there. Sorry.....

Bobby uses a wet one, and I have got to using it too. Very similiar to the one posted by fisherdan, but as a wet brine.

Brown sugar, white sugar, salt, garlic powder, cinnamon, cloves, soy sauce, water. Thats kinda what I been using...........oh yeah, and the honey glaze. :wink:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
zaq/ 5 cents and the rest of carrot crew....so you would gladly share the recipie??? do it , right now and the carrot milk to please, or are you guys into just showing pics and bragging?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts