IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who plunk off the bank whats your favorite thing to use? Spin n glow, Hot shots... Spinners....

I have faired well on a yellow and orange spin n Glow. I have also hit a couple on a florecent orange hot shot.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
They ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT hit a pink watermelon spin n glow with some Mike's anise oil on it...don't try it! Won't work :hoboy: Oh yeah, and if you throw a prawn tail on the hook they probably won't bite that either. :grin:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I certainly wont take note of that and wont give that a try... but for the sake of argument if one (not me) were to try this how long of a leader would one use?

Generally speaking, how deep of water does one fish? I would guess im in 15 - 20 feet.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
I usually use about 2' of leader line in 10-15 feet of water. Just my $0.02...

Oh yeah, you've got mail too.

[ 06-24-2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: jokester ]

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
To tell you the truth....I can't remember what all I typed
It was nothing too important. I just a ? about if there are any spots to plunk around the Vancouver/Battle Ground area.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Jokester,
There are a couple of places that I know of. Go to Frenchman's Bar park (Clark County Park) on lower river road. Nice park and beach to plunk off of. Also, up in Kalama on the beaches there. Can be productive at times.

Steve :cheers:

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Baskett,
For the most part spin-glo's are a bankies best friend for plunking,(Watermelon, Half and Halfs, Parrots, Greens, Chartrueses, Chromies and many others) year round on the CR and its tributaties. Flatfish and Kwikfish are good add-ons and are sometimes used as a sliding dropper after the initial cast of getting a Spin-glo in place. Then theres fishing for URB's (up river brights) these are really large Nooks in the 30lb to even 60lb range and hardware seems to be the preferred favorite, (Alvins, Wobblers, Clancy's,) and these require quite the set-up to cast and fish which involve the use of a float above the lure. There are multiple spots to bank from Bonneville all the way along the Columbia even as far as Cathlamet and further. Depth, Rocks, Sand, Current, and Matching what most are doing in that particular area will require a vast array of tackle and techniques to master. Shoot me an email if you like, for rigging help. (or ideas
)
Tight lines :cheers:

·
Registered
153 Posts
i had good luck plunking with herring wrapped kwikfish for springers this year.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Isn't it funny that the bakies try to throw it as far as they can from the beach and the boats try to get as close to the beach as they can???

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Due to firewall issues at work I cant view my email. Any chance you have a copy of the email that you can forward me...

I know this email works

[email protected]

I just changed the email info on my profile so this issue wont come up again. Dam IT department starting filtering out hotmail reently.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I do alot of plunking when I don't feel like using my boat. Hand's down the thin twin blade made by Don Martin is the best set up out fishing spin glows. For summer steelhead use a small thin twin blade on top of a couple of pill bodies or small corkies. Place a bright colored prawn tail on the hook. I like hot pink or red. The same set up works for springers. I have my best luck at Diblees beach just west of the Longview bridge. You could also go up to warendale up from the Fishery and do very well. Remember..you don't have to cast that far from the bank. Those steel head are in very close. You can find the Thin Twins at Fishermans or just find Don Martin. He's usually where the fish are.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Any of you fellas fish the Oreogn side? I've wandered around abit but haven't found any real good places to plunk close to the city. I know it's good down by Trojan but thats wuite a ways from here. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Steelie Steve......Go up to warrendale below bonniville dam. Great place to plunk for summer steelhead and summer nooks. In the winter go to meldrum bar to the point, a great place to catch winter steelhead. This spot is located below the mouth of the clackamas about a 1/2 mile. Kind of a rough group but once you get to know them they are a great group of guys.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fishface, that is a little strange. I see guys using all there might to get that line out as far as they can. Then I come along and only go out about 1/2 as far as they do and whadya know... I hook into fish. I typically use 6oz of weight and more or less toss out the line letting the pole do most of the work.

I may try and head up near Bonny... I went to Frenchmans bar last night and they are charging $2 to get in. I have paid for a forest pass, national parks pass, a Sauvie Island pass..etc... all this year. the last thing I want it more fees. You cant go out for a day of outdoor fun with some state agencey charging you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts