IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the wife lets me take a day for fishing, I'd like to do a striped marlin trip. I've been fishing there before out of San Jose del Cabo, this time we'll be in Cabo. We hooked a black marlin last time about 20 years ago and lost it. Looks like March is in the middle of the season. I've searched around and seen that trips can to go from 600-1600.00. And pango's for 200-350. I understand you make the call to the captain on what to fish for. I saw the thread below [SIZE=4][FONT=arial]LaughNgaff[/FONT][/SIZE] posted, who knows, maybe we'll be there the same time and do a trip together! I've seen where people have had mounts done, my buddy has a striped marlin mounted in his house, cool stuff. No fisherman's house should be without one. My plan is to release the fish and document as well as I can, Gopro will certainly be going with me. I would like to hear about past experiences with fishing outfits and mounting options, I'll be searching around in the meantime. Thanks.

· Registered
44,011 Posts
There's some good on-line sources for fishing reports. Start a month before your trip and check every couple of days to see what's biting. Don't want to spend a day fishing for something that isn't there. The best Dorado fishing I've ever had was in March. My daughter and I got over 40 one day. It wasn't supposed to be the right time of year to target them but ya never know. Most the fish came on one lure, it would have been a much slower day without it. A dark colored tuna feather around 5" long. A fat stubby thing. Kind of a gold/brown color, something a person would never think of fishing with. I ordered something else and got this lure by mistake. Best mistake there ever was. The only reason I tried it is because I had it. Glad I did.

You do not need to kill the marlin to get a mount, they are completely hand made. You can take a measurement with the fish in the water then release. No harm done. You might want a photo of the dorsal fin so your mount looks like the fish you actually caught. If the fishing is decent, you'll catch several. I got 5 one day, biggest pushing 200. Not bad for a Striper. Most are in the 120 range.

You might consider your own gear so you're fishing with decent stuff. You'll need something you can pitch live bait with, it's not just a troll show. Best color for trolling is black/purple.

· Registered
16 Posts
My story probably has no value to you as it was 22 years ago, but as a fisherman I tell it every chance I get. Cabo, New Years day 2001. We had negotiated with a guy around the marina to go to a timeshare meeting for a blanket, tequila, and a fishing trip for $100. The crew that didn't speak a lick of English but the boat was legit - a 28 or 32 ft with a cabin and bridge - and just one other angler and his wife. I caught and released a ~120lb striped marlin, the other guy caught one and kept it, and we saw whales and dolphins all around us. It was an epic way to start the year.

· Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's some good on-line sources for fishing reports. Start a month before your trip and check every couple of days to see what's biting. Don't want to spend a day fishing for something that isn't there. The best Dorado fishing I've ever had was in March. My daughter and I got over 40 one day. It wasn't supposed to be the right time of year to target them but ya never know. Most the fish came on one lure, it would have been a much slower day without it. A dark colored tuna feather around 5" long. A fat stubby thing. Kind of a gold/brown color, something a person would never think of fishing with. I ordered something else and got this lure by mistake. Best mistake there ever was. The only reason I tried it is because I had it. Glad I did.

You do not need to kill the marlin to get a mount, they are completely hand made. You can take a measurement with the fish in the water then release. No harm done. You might want a photo of the dorsal fin so your mount looks like the fish you actually caught. If the fishing is decent, you'll catch several. I got 5 one day, biggest pushing 200. Not bad for a Striper. Most are in the 120 range.

You might consider your own gear so you're fishing with decent stuff. You'll need something you can pitch live bait with, it's not just a troll show. Best color for trolling is black/purple.
I have tuna and sturgeon gear, otherwise I'd have to buy something. I am in the market for a halibut electric reel.

2,729 Posts
Grumpy,

I have fished with Renegade Mike around 20 times.

He is VERY colorful, loud, and not for everyone, but he is a very good fisherman and my buddies and I have caught a lot of fish on his boat, plus he went out of his way to help me out when I used to have a boat in Cabo.

He was around $650 a day when I fished with him a 3-4 years ago.

Mike C

· Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grumpy,

He is VERY colorful, loud, and not for everyone, but he is a very good fisherman and my buddies and I have caught a lot of fish on his boat, plus he went out of his way to help me out when I used to have a boat in Cabo.

Mike C
Thanks Mike I'll check it out. FYI I was one of your clients last year or year before. Thanks again.

· Registered
586 Posts
Buy your own belt. I’d recommend Aftco. The belts the charters have are barely adequate, at best.

· Registered
626 Posts
I haven’t been to Cabo in 10 years but used to fish there at least once a year when I was active duty on leave, and up to 6 times a year after I got out. I was fortunate to have a friend of the family that owned a condo at Terra Sol a short walk up the hill from the west side of the marina by the Navy station. I bought and kept some gear there, which prevented the hassles of baggage fees for rod carriers and putting reels in carry on. I started with a surf spinning set up, and a Shimano TLD15 and TLD 25 on Lamiglas Bluewater seconds I bought at factory store back when they had good deals. I eventually traded up to Seeker rods and Avet reels, and I traded the old gear to a panga captain for two days of fishing.

March can be a mixed bag, depending on how the currents are that particular year much like our albacore in PNW. The later in March the more likely you will get fishable weather, February and early March can be notorious for high winds that I would not suggest venturing out in regardless of a charter is willing to take your money. I did not fish marlin much after the first few I caught. March should be a good time to target yellowtail, and this can be done from a panga inshore which can be much more affordable. If you want marlin, as stated above, watch online reports with photos and pay attention to the weather in photos. It will give you an idea of ocean conditions and the marketing of current catches is morally flexible at best. Same goes for the catch flags.

if you have time I always went to the docks as boats returned and watched who was catching what. I would talk to the same pangas each day that were unloading good fish, and eventually negotiate two or three days at a reduced rate. I would want a cruiser for marlin in March as you may go offshore and not fun in an open panga.

Please post your pics, I miss Cabo.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Ah Loreto. Love that little town. Please pay a visit to Mi Loreto restaurant. What a treasure. They won't remember me but I sure remember them. Have fun. Yellowtail will be the primary target at that time of year. You might see some Sierra too. Lightweight flexible/knotable bite tippet is recommended. Have fun and please report back. Cheers, CopperMan.

· Vendor
498 Posts
Grumpy,

Mike C
I met with Mike A couple weeks ago, his boat still out of the water, we’ve been using Edith fleet for tournaments and pleasure, caught a huge striped marlin on one of our lures two months ago captain wanted the lure. Will be back down in March contact us if you need his phone number, about $500 day
Water Shorts Boat Vertebrate Sky
Water Sky Sleeve Eyewear Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

· Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I met with Mike A couple weeks ago, his boat still out of the water, we’ve been using Edith fleet for tournaments and pleasure, caught a huge striped marlin on one of our lures two months ago captain wanted the lure. Will be back down in March contact us if you need his phone number, about $500 day
View attachment 999897 View attachment 999898
Where'd you get the lure?

· Registered
6 Posts
If the wife lets me take a day for fishing, I'd like to do a striped marlin trip. I've been fishing there before out of San Jose del Cabo, this time we'll be in Cabo. We hooked a black marlin last time about 20 years ago and lost it. Looks like March is in the middle of the season. I've searched around and seen that trips can to go from 600-1600.00. And pango's for 200-350. I understand you make the call to the captain on what to fish for. I saw the thread below [SIZE=4][FONT=arial]LaughNgaff[/FONT][/SIZE] posted, who knows, maybe we'll be there the same time and do a trip together! I've seen where people have had mounts done, my buddy has a striped marlin mounted in his house, cool stuff. No fisherman's house should be without one. My plan is to release the fish and document as well as I can, Gopro will certainly be going with me. I would like to hear about past experiences with fishing outfits and mounting options, I'll be searching around in the meantime. Thanks.
I’m going late June, otherwise I would’ve loved to set something up (I’m probably going to be fishing by myself).

· Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
We manufacture them, a lot of the boats in Cabo run our lures, with the largest Blue Marlin landed in Baja 1,320lbs along with four granders on our lures we have the honor of the only Lure company at the Bisbees black and blue and most of the other top tournaments in the Baja
oh wow, is that something I can buy from you? Found the website, is it the RED EYE CUP JET HEAD TUNA LURE? Purple?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts