IFish.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the search engine for breathables - found some good stuff on many brands - just wanted to hear from those willing type the goods and the bads about these waders.... making my final decision this week.

thanks ya'll

·
Premium Member
14,301 Posts
i've got the cabelas dry plus waders (don't know if they're gold medals). the gaiters on the ankles are kind of tight but i've gotten used to that. other than that, they seem fine. i love them compared to my previous neoprenes.

[ 10-22-2003, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: ampersat ]

D

·
0 Posts
I like my Cabelas goretex breathables, they're very comfortable, but I have had problems with them. I had a pair replaced because they leaked in the crotch after using them only a few times. Cabelas replaced them and now after a year and a half the second pair are leaking in the same spot. Do I have a big rear? Not really.... I've since aqua-sealed the leak and have had no problems. I guess my point is that I spent a heck of a lot of money for something that leaked rather easily. Their Dry-plus are reasonably priced and I've always received good service from Cabelas.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've only started using a pair of Dry Plus Golds and was very impressed with their comfort, and quality. As far as how they hold up over time, I'll have to wait and see. The earlier feedback about the gravel gaurds may relate to the type of boot you are wearing. My first pair of boot I bought were a high top. The gators were very hard to get them down over the tops due to he boot height. I returned the boots and got one that was not as high. Problem solved. Make sure you buy them big enough to accomodate the most clothing you would ever wear under them, including socks. I was at the point between a medium and large, and ended up going with large. I got very tired of wiggling in and out of my neo's.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I have the Dry-Plus stocking-foot waders. My only complaint is that it takes me literally 5 minutes per foot to get them back off, the elastic in the ankle is so tight. I should have returned them, but went fishing instead. Otherwise, they have been fine.

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
I have the cabela's dry-plus guide wear stocking foot wader with the neoprene stocking foot and the built-in gravel guard. I LOVE THEM. Well made, durable, great cust service if you have a problem. Reinforced knees, carry bag, belt, chest pocket. I'd recommend them for sure.
GBS

·
Registered
69 Posts
i can't speak for their breathable waders, but i had a few pairs of the cabela's neoprene jobbies and they typically leaked at the boot/wader junction or the crotch seam after about one season. while they were cheap, buying a new pair each year wasn't.

that said, back in the midwest where winter steelheading is bitter, bitter cold, we took to wearing the simms lightweight bootfoots with two layers of fleece/polypro under them and you stayed warm and dry all day. out here, it's much warmer in the winter, so you'll probably be all the better. yes, at about 200 bucks, they're a bit spendier, but simms has a reliable, killer product and a warranty to back it up. as a side note, my lightweight simms stockingfoots are on their third season of no leaks and i'm fishing between 1 and 3 days a week in them., hanging them to dry after each trip out.

not trying to be the poster boy for simms, and this is just my $.02. for the money, the cheaper simms models have always done right by me.

·
Registered
16,805 Posts
I've got a pair of what I believe are 1st-generation (no neoprene foot) Cabelas breathables; and they've done very well. Thorn holes get a dab of aquaseal and their fixed. These are my warm weather and brush-busting waders.

I'm just breaking in a pair of Orvis silver label breathable w/neoprene foot. The heavier construction makes them not as comfortable as the Cabelas; not sure they breathe as well either. The neoprene foot is a huge plus in cold water - what a difference!

I'd stay away from built in gravel guards - you cannot adjust them and always have them, whether you need 'em or not.

·
Registered
16,547 Posts
Don't know anything about these waders in question butI to am interested as I am currently looking into purchasing somenew waders and these were on my list to check out.

Here's a TIP I was told when I was looking at some waders locally: For waders with a neoprene foot, put a sock on over it before putting on your wading boots. This will help with wear caused by sand/rocks rubbing against them in your boots.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have the waist-high DryPlus, a new pair since I sent the last pair back a month ago. They are comfy and dry although after 6 mos of occasional use and 8 days in Alaska this Summer wearing them 10 hours/day, they started to delam at the knees. Cabela's was cool about replacing them. This is a problem I've been told has been around for a while. I have a friend who's on his fifth pair and everytime, they send him new ones. Take from that what you will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm on my second pair of Cabela's breathable waders. The first pair leaked in the crotch after 4-5 uses. I sent them back and got a new pair...but I think I had to pay for shipping. The second pair leaked in the crotch after only 2 uses. I'm not sure I can afford to keep returning them if I have to pay for shipping. I may just use a little Aqua Seal this time. Its less time consuming, and probably cheaper, than having to send them back every couple of weeks/months. Its great that Cabela's takes them back, but I'd much prefer a quality product. Long and short...I won't be buying another pair anytime soon.

D

·
0 Posts
Nellop,

ditto..... leaked in the crotch. I've aquasealed the begeebies out of this second pair and hopefully this will last.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a pair of goretex breathables and they are great. I love them. I have received great customer service from cabela's too. Any of their midline breathables are good. Check out their clearance stuff too. I picked mine up for $100, regularly $170.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I've had 3 pairs of Cabela's breathables. All have gone leaky within one season. I currently have Simms Guide Weights. They are awesome.

HOWEVER the next pair of breathable waders will be made by Captain Kujo's company, USIA. Their waders are guaranteed, and he will build them to fit you. He is an ifish sponsor. Call him and check out what he can do for you.

Heck, tell him Mojo sent ya...(it can't hurt).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have a pair of the Cabela's. My first pair leaked, but I was hard on them (hiking through thick brush). My 2nd pair haven't leaked, but I am much more careful. I would by a pair of Sim's if I had the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts