IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going for a spin on a 15 foot alaskan. It is an 1986 in excellent condition. It has a 1992 25 horse electric start motor. No problems with it. If all is well after thursday i should have it home this week end. The cost will be $1,500.
I think it will be perfect for the trask and out crabbing on T-bay. I should be able to use it on the columbia aroud government island and other places as well. If any one has had on similiar let me know. Any info wuold be nice. Thanks

Cartman

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
my advice is to attach the trailer to your rig and throw your money at him as you make a quick getaway. at $1500, you're stealing that boat. just make sure the motor runs well. it's easily worth more than the boat itself.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
About 3 years ago my buddie sold one like that with a 14 horse Evinrude on it for 2900.00 So if your picking it up for 1500.00 you gettin a steal of a deal.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info I work with the owner and have been told by others who have been in it and they all say it runs great. I know the owner and they take great care of the boat. Thursday will be the clincher.

Cartman

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sweet deal Cartman. Sublime has a boat like that but I think he has a 40 horse Johnson on it. You might e-mail him if you have any specific questions. Sounds like too good of a deal to pass up though :cheers:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Those boats have rivits and are not welded. Make sure you check carefully for leaks. I owned a Smoker before and if its dry you cant go wrong with that boat for the money.

JFool :cool:

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
Either the boat or the motor is worth $1500, if they are in any kind of shape. My brother had one years back, and it was a fine boat, even considering I prefer welded to riveted. If water doesn't gush through the leaky rivets, that is close to the perfect light Columbia/Willamette river boat.

Just test for leakage. Make sure the boat is bone dry when you start, by pulling (yes, and replacing!!! :wink: ) the plug on the ramp, and that it's still dry when you end the test drive, again by pulling the plug. Then, as someone else said, be careful not to sprain your wrist while getting your wallet out quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congratulations :tongue:

I've been seriously boat shopping the last couple of weeks. I looked at a new 15ft Alaskan with side console, 15 horse Merc and trailer. Listed for $7295 and the dealer wouldn't budge a nickle off the price (didn't buy it). I also looked at several used boats. Most of them were older and looked very well used. The least expensive one was $1,200. Wouldn't have bought it for half the price. The engine looked like it might make a good anchor.

I'm told riveted boats tend to seep after awhile but that's their nature. Should not be a major concern. Knowing what I know now I would be raceing you to buy the boat if I knew where it was :grin:

I did buy a new boat but a whole different kind of set-up. I'll post more about it when I quit shaking from excitement.

Again, Congratulations.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
My first boat was a 14' Alaskan with a 15 HP Merc. It was underpowered with 2 people in it, so we later upgraded to a new 25 HP and it was plenty of motor for that boat. I have had two Smoker Crafts and neither leaked. I never popped a rivet in the hull. It's all in how you take care of your equipment. The only rivets I popped were in the bench seats and that was probably because my butt was/is so big that they were crying out for relief... :blush: :grin: :blush:

That is a great price!

SD

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The boat and the motor are in excellent condition. When not in the water it was in a garage. The owners took great care of it. I can't wait to pull in the first fish in her. Thanks again for the info.

Cartman :dance:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts