IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that life is going to let me get back to more fishing this fall, and I am preparing to buy a small boat for use primarily in tidewater and for crabbing. :smile: Unfortunately, with two kids in college, my options are limited to fairly cheap.

I'm looking at a used 16' Smokercraft Lodge, and most of them seem to have 25 horse outboards. For those of you who have such combos, is the 25 enough to efficiently move the boat and, say, 3 people? By availability default, my second choice seems to be a 15' Smoker Alaskan. Same question, is the 25 enough motor? My idea of adequate is at least 25 mph.

Finally, what's the Mercury "Bigfoot" designation? How does it differ from a regular 25? :shrug:

(I know about welded versus riveted, but these two kids in school...)

Sincere thanks to all who respond! :bowdown:

·
Registered
515 Posts
o.c. check your mail . c.b. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Why don't you try building a wood boat? You can build a 16 footer for between $1000-1300 depending on what material you use. You could build in 200 hrs or so. Doing it in your spare time you could have it ready for fall, no problem.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Where do you find plans to build your own? Id be interested in starting up a project like this. With the company shutting down some thursdays and most fridays I have alot of spare time.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I did a fair amount of research before I bought my 15' Lodge SS so I will give you my thoughts. First off, is it a split seat or bench model? The weight difference is around 200 lbs. If it is the bench model you could get by with a 25hp. I have a 25hp yamaha 4 sroke on my 15' Lodge SS and with two adults plus one eleven year old we don't break any records but we move between 22-26mph. I looked at the 16' Lodge SS and after talking with alot of people decided that it would need a 40hp as it is about 170 lbs heavier then the 15'. Most people I talked with who owned the 16' with a 25hp wished they had the 40hp. The Alaskan with a 25hp will be just fine but I would highly recomend the Lodge over the Alaskan. I owned a 15' Alaskan before buying the Lodge and they are good boats but if you look at the beam and depth of the Lodge compared to the 15' Alumaweld stryker or 15' North River Revenge they are surprisingly close. I need to qualify that last sentence or I might get attacked by Alumaweld/North River owners. The Lodge is not the quality of the heavier guage welded boats but for the $$ I think it is a good boat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Check out duroboat.com. The 16 split seat looks really nice. Bigger is better, and these boats are light.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I have the 15' Alaskan SS with a 25 Yamaha.I think the 25 is a good match. With myself and my brother,we can cruise really nicely at 21-22MPH. Thats about 3/4 throttle. If the water permits going faster we top out at about 27-28. It's rare that the water is smooth enough to go that fast though,and 21MPH is faster than it seems in a smaller boat like these. I wouldn't worry about the rivets,the hull has a lifetime warranty against leaks. I've had mine for 6yrs,and it's been a great boat. We fish Puget Sound,and the Straits all the time. It doesn't leak a drop.

[ 07-01-2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: ICHTHYDEMON ]

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Baskett, I bought my plans from Ken Swan in Hubbard, OR. I don't think I'd do that again. My next set of plans will be from Glen-L. Just do a google search for "wood boat plans" and his site will pop up. They've got hundreds of different designs.

·
Registered
641 Posts
OC...I have a '95 Pro-Alaskan (Smoker Crafts attempt at a V-bottomed bass boat) It was originally set up with a 40hp Merc. I reduced it to a 25hp Merc. It's has plenty of poop for 2 seated adults and a third if balanced. My reasoning was with a trolling plate on the 25hp...there was no need for a kicker. It has worked well in Tillamook Bay and various lakes. the hull (rivets) has never been a concern.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 14ft duroboat with a 15 honda on it. It moves great and works well in the Sound and out in the bay around oregon. I love the durobility. I think they are the best bang for the buck. :dance:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all who responded, I really appreciate it! You are the reason this board is so great.

Woody: I don't think I will be building a boat. I have to wear safety glasses to pick my nose. I tried to build a square box once and it ended up with 9 sides.

Cast Away, TideWater, Icthydemon, Aqua-Holic and Flyguy: Thanks so much for taking the time to offer assistance to a total stranger. You each deserve a mint-bright 40 pounder this fall!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Woody: I don't think I will be building a boat. I have to wear safety glasses to pick my nose. I tried to build a square box once and it ended up with 9 sides.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That's just too funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I understand. Some people have it, some people don't. I'd trade my carpentry gene for a fishing gene anytime.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
The 16' Glen L runabout boat that my dad and I built in the 60's used a 40 HP motor, wished it had 50HP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts