IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a really nice salmon on in the Hanford Reach area and after losing it, it turned out that it took the metal clip off the back of a brand new Big Al's Fish Flash. We looked at other clips on our other Flashes and that is a heavy duty clip. That fish would have had to break it or knock it out of its hole and then bend it straight! Has anyone else had a similar experience with these or is this just "one of those things that happen"!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Could be a defect or just one of those things. I used a fish flash out of Westport all summer and caught lots of 40 pound plus fish, including a 60 pounder on a fish flash. It does look like it would break, but in most cases, it doesn't. BTW, Big Al just happens to be a member of the same fishing club as I am, I will ask him about this, if he has had any complaints.

Steve Ng

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
I was worried about losing a fish to product defects or weakness, so I made my own out of aluminum at a cost of about 1/4 of the commercial product.

I know others have done the same with stainless and with acrylic.

You have options!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have lost two fish due to the clip were it attaches to the chain swivel. I now remove that piece and modify it with my own clip and swivels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
look4elk, could you elaborate on how you modify that Fish Flash? I agree that I thought that would be the weak spot if there was one, although on my example the clip somehow came loose from the plastic hole at the base of the fish flash. What size bead chain do you use and is it a Sampo?? Thanks guys! For those who make their own, how much do you figure you have invested per flash?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have lost a couple of fish due to the last bead on the chain swivel bustin off. One of my fishing partners lost a big nook because of this problem and was a little upset. I have replaced all the chain swivels and have put new hot shot swivels on each end to make sure this doesn't happen again. Not too good a deal when you pay top dollar for these things and they use sub par swivels for terminal gear. :mad: I am very impressed with ingenuity of the other ifishers making their own. Hope Big Al is notified. I am sure he will take steps to ensure good QC.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My solution was to two lost fish was to add a large Duo-lock snap to the Fish Flash, then a bead chain if I want the bait to spin slow, and a ball-bearing swivel if I want the bait to spin faster.

kwc

·
Registered
81 Posts
A friend of mine lost a fish two weeks ago for the same exact thing. the rear of the flash came apart. I think I'd consider making my own or better yet send an e-mail to the manufacturer and see if they stand behind their product. Letting them know that your not the only effected fisherman, may prompt them to look at their product more closely, or loose future customers if they don't. :blush:
Sorry to hear about loosing that fish.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I modify all of mine with a Duo-lock snap and then
a five bead chain swivel. I do this both on the front and the rear of the flash and have not had any problems with loosing fish.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I too have had the same problem and found success with a duo-lock and bead chain. Why they are not put together better is beyond me. Has anyone contacted the manufacturer? If so what was the outcome? thanks, jb

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Two years ago I was using a medium Fish Flash at Buoy 10. Well after changing the bait the rear swivel came apart in my hands - the beads separated from the clip. :shocked:

I asked Fisherman's about it and they recommended replacing the stock clips with Duro-Snaps and bead swivels. I have since modified all of my Fish Flashes accordingly. And recommend to all of my friends to do the same.

Not worth loosing any fish over cheap clips.

I don't know why Big Al is using poor quality clips. He is loosing business to Do-it-yourself. :whazzup:

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
609 Posts
I thought my experience was a fluke! Now knowing better, I will begin the neccesary modifications. Thanks guys!

Big Al, please make your product a little more fish-worthy. As I don't possess every size & color at this time, before I buy more, I would prefer you to make the neccessary modifications. Thank you for your consideration.

Full Freezer

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
As much as (some of us) pay for those dang chunks of plastic, maybe they could use some better hardware.

I haven't had any trouble, but then I don't catch many fish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts