IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday late morning I was leaving a friends house on the Clack above Barton when I decided to stop and take a look off the Barton and Carver bridges to see if I saw any sign of coho in the river even though I was on my way to Washington to fish.

I pulled over to the SW corner of the bridge in front of a truck because there was a white Dodge Dakota Sport on the SE corner with a small car behind it.

As I got out of my van I noticed two younger adults in the car and I hollered over to them if they had seen any coho's. The driver said they hadn't been fishing. As I started walking towards the bridge I noticed a person down low in the truck apparently looking for something. I kept walking and got a little suspicious and decided to turn around without looking over the bridge and heard someone in the distance say something like "hurry up". As I got close to my van the car drove off and I looked at the license plate and memorized it just in case and went right to my van and wrote down the plate # on a tide book before I forgot it . I also noticed that there was the driver and someone in the backseat but no one in the front passenger seat.

I walked over to the truck and at this time the guy in the front of the truck started walking back towards the rear and I talked to him. He told me he had lost his key. I asked him if he had left the door unlocked or if he was able to "beak in". He told me the window was cracked open. I asked if he might have lost the key down at the river (keep in mind I didn't know if he was involved with the car that left that said they hadn't fished) and he said he was going to check one more thing before he went down to the river looking for it. He looked through the brown "day pack”. He told me it really didn't matter because he just lived around the corner.

At that point we both started walking down towards the bridge and at about mid point I decided to cross to the other side of the bridge feeling uncomfortable next to him on that tall bridge. I walked back to the van and watched him still being suspicious as he disappeared around the corner. I decided to drive towards Barton Store instead of traveling the south side of the river to Carver as planned.

When I passed him he was beyond a point to where he could have gone down to the river and it looked like he was looking through something. I continued to the store and bought some M&M's and interrupted the owner of the store (Larry) who was busy with a couple salesmen trying to sell him a knife display and expressed my concern or suspicion and well, it didn't go to far. So I told them I was going to drive back and see if I saw the guy.

Well halfway to the bridge there he was but now he is carrying what appears to be a black CD case and the brown "day pack" was gone. Now I’m really suspicious and turned around up the road and headed back to the store and it appears he is trying to stuff or hide it (CD case?) in his rear pocket or pants as he gets somewhat close to the store.

I go into the store again and explain to an employee named Rhonda and the owner Larry that I was pretty confident that this guy did indeed burglarize this white truck. I asked them if they would call the police. When I told Rhonda that this guy would be approaching the store at any moment she decided to go outside and take a look at him to see if she might recognize him.

When we turned the corner of the store here he was face to face and Rhonda acted like she was getting something out of her car and opened the door and I just looked him in the face and asked him; “What happened to the pack”? He told me he left it on his front porch. I guess I said “oh” or something and he said he was looking for a phone while fiddling with some coin and Rhonda pointed the direction to the phone booth. Me and Rhonda went back into the store. Decided to come back out and he was not at the phone booth or anywhere to be found.

There was a little lack of communication at this point but found out later that they did call the sheriff at my request and the guy fled the scene and that he was seen by Larry’s wife from her upstairs window in the field besides their house tossing a black thing into the berry patches. We looked for the CD case but could not find it. I decided to drive up the road towards Estacada in the direction he was last seen and spotted him in front of a church between the Barton Store and the Barton Feed Store. Now he is wearing a red shirt and no ball cap instead of the white shirt and red ball cap that he was wearing earlier and carrying what appeared to be a white plastic bag.

I stopped at the Barton Feed Store and called the Barton Store and they tell me that the sheriff went the wrong way and went down Baker’s Ferry Road. I decide to go to the church and confront this guy again. I pull up in the parking lot and this guy is getting nervous and walks back towards the store and then disappears in the bushes.

The sheriff finally shows and goes down the hwy looking for the suspect. I think the sheriff should have stopped by the store first and talked to us before she went down the road looking for the suspect. After I unsuccessfully searched for the black object in the black berry bushes I walk down the road and help look for the suspect. The officer told me that she could have her dog find him but it wasn’t the type of criminal offense to turn the dog loose on him. He was never found.

The officer went looking for the brown bag that I thought at the time was maybe camouflaged after I told her I suspected the suspect of discarding it off the side of the road somewhere between the one of two driveways and the Barton Bridge. I went up to help search for it. First she went to the truck and looked inside and when I got there she told me that nothing was disturbed. I asked her what she meant and she said the persons check book was still there. We both parked by the first driveway and searched the distance with no luck. She had given up the search and I told her I was going to look a little further the other direction and she tried to discourage me but I persisted in looking further. A comment she made that didn’t impress me was; “that he (victim) shouldn’t have left his stuff in plain view with window cracked open anyway”.

As she did her U-turn and started driving down the road I spotted some clothes and a brown bag in the brush/trees some 15’ off the road and waved and yelled at her as she was driving by. I figured it was a lost cause because she didn’t appear to be overly interested anyway and had mentioned a couple times a death notice or something she had to deliver but I was wrong and she came back as I was tossing clothes and a brown day pack up onto the shoulder of the road. I think she was a bit surprised and she stuffed the clothes into the day pack and said she was going to leave it in the back of the truck. When I asked her if she was going to leave a note on the vehicle she told me no and that the person would find out when they called the police department.

I went back to the truck to leave a note but the truck was gone. So I left a note on the other truck saying that if he knows the owner of the white Dakota I saw someone burglarizing that truck and other info and my telephone number. I went back to the Barton Store and told them we had found the bag and some nice clothes. I had already wasted about a half day and missed out on some coho fishing up in Washington but decided to look one last time for the “black object” the suspect had thrown in the black berries.

After looking all around the black berries again in the area where the store owners wife had thought she had seen the suspect toss it, I decided to somehow climb the tall 10’ clump of berry vines. There was some old plywood buried in the vines at one end and it seemed stable enough to climb at least part way up and as I crested it, there it was! I was thrilled!

It was a CD case and I took it into the store and we opened it up hoping to find some ID and see what was inside. It was very heavy for its size and probably had a hundred CD’s in it or so. All but maybe two were factory CD’s. I left it at the store and was on my way to Washington.

After returning to Depoe Bay late Wednesday night there was a message on my answering machine from a Brian that got my number from a friend of his (the truck I left the note on) and he was very bummed and said he was missing a CD case full of CD’s worth about $400.00. I called his work number that he had left and he was off until Saturday night. Ended up talking to two different friends of Brian’s that night and he is in Sun River for a couple days and doesn’t know his CD’s have been recovered yet. He will be a happy camper Friday or Saturday when he gets back and finds out.

The few things I learned from this experience were:

That even though you don’t suspect that someone would be burglarizing a vehicle on a somewhat busy road at 10-10:30 in the morning if it seems suspicious in any way, pursue it. Also I couldn’t remember or didn’t observe what kind of car it was or the color for sure but suspect it was a Honda and it was white but am pretty confident I got the license plate number right (XNG074). Thought I remembered the day pack as being camouflaged and possibly green or brown but it turns out it was solid brown. The officer didn’t seem to be too concerned about the whole ordeal. I was not impressed with the officer involved. There’s a lot of lawlessness going on everywhere and we need to be a little more observant and somewhat police ourselves and look out for the other guy (kinda like the neighborhood watch). The burglar lied to me a couple times and you couldn’t even tell it in his expressions. If you are planning on parking and fishing somewhere where you can’t see your vehicle, don’t leave any valuables in it even locked up. The burglar didn’t look like a thief but what does a thief look like? Maybe I made a mistake by attempting to confront this guy again at the church and maybe he would have still been out front of the church when the officer arrived if I hadn’t. Even with all the suspicious activities involved it was hard for me to believe he was burglarizing the truck or that I caught this guy red-handed.

I lost about 4-5 hours valuable time that day determined to catch this thief and ended up all scratched up from black berries (I was wearing shorts) but feel real good about what I did and accomplished with a little help from others.

I would like to see this thief prosecuted and feel that is a reality since I got the license number of the accomplices car and can identify the thief in the victims truck, exiting the truck with the brown day pack, walking down the road with the pack and then later with only the CD case. The owner’s wife of the Barton Store had seen the thief toss the CD case in the berries and an employee Rhonda can identify the thief when we approached him behind the store with the CD case in his hand. I hope justice will do its part for I have zero tolerance for these low life thieves.

Apparently when the accomplices saw me walking back towards them they got paranoid and drove off and left their buddy behind.

Dan

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

I've been the victim of car burglary myself and I just want to say thank you. The world needs more people to raise an eyebrow every once in a while. :grin:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
It's cool when someone cares enough to get involved. Good job Dan! :dance:

·
Premium Member
14,488 Posts
hey dan, thanks for staying persistent on this one. it wasn't my truck but it could have been. the kids who did this mostly likely do it all the time. hopefully something will come of it and they'll get to do a little jail time or a lot of probation.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
good job Dan...

:cheers:

Giz...

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Way to keep your eyes open, Dan. I adminre your persistence and willingness to sacrifice your day in order to do the right thing.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
The world needs more good pepole like you Dan.

How many day's????

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Dan thanks for sharing what happened. I have been robbed 5 times and never have the law really pursued it. With all the information you have on them I was wandering if you called the Sheriff to see if they followed up on the license plate. They need to get these people and prosecute them.
You have the tenacity of an elephant.

ST

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
DBD...McGruff the Crime Dog would be proud!!!!

Take a bite out of crime! :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good for you for being proactive dbd! What's really unfortunate is how often this kind of thing occurs. Here in Bend we probably have 5-10 a day. Even though it sounded callous, the deputy was right...you really have to be more cautious than the victim was. Why give thieves such an obvious opportunity, hide your stuff well or take it with you. The sad thing is they probably were only going to sell the stuff for drug money anyway.

[ 09-19-2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: deschutes2 ]

·
Registered
348 Posts
My truck has been broken into twice in the last 2 months. Thanks for getting involed to stop it Dan.

:bowdown: The King

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello Dave and thanks.

The license plate number is in my original post and I put it there intentionally.
I was hoping someone had the means to run the plate because these guys need as much bad "publicity" as possible and I am curious as to the make and model and hopefully color of the car to make sure I got the license plate correct which I am pretty confident that I did.

Evidently it has not gone any further at this point because Brian's employer didn't know that the CD's were recovered and neither did his roommate or friend I talked to.
Brian didn't know either or I'm sure he would have gone by the Barton Store to pick them up before going to Sun River.

I called the Barton Store yesterday and they still had the CD case full of CD's and I let them know that the victim's friends have been notified but that Brian was out of town.
I will call the sheriff's office today and let them know that the CD's were recovered because evidently the Store didn't let them know. Maybe the sheriff's office can start persueing this matter. Clackamas county sheriff?

One thing I do know is I ruined this thief's day and possibly he learned from this experience but probably not and I do hope the sheriff's persue this and the thief get's what he deserves even though he did not get away with it.

Small Fry,

I had to look at my tidebook but it has been 69 days clean & sober and pretty easy at this point. :smile: Thanks.

Thanks to the rest of you and your comments. I was thinking about my missed opportunity for fishing that day up in Washington but persuing this was more important to me even though I didn't expect the outcome. I was happy for the individual (victim) whom I have never met and know nothing about him other than he is a fisherman.

I have been burglarized several times over the years including a Honda XL 500 that was stolen out of my driveway some 4-5 years ago at around noon. The neighbor next door at the time watched them load it up into the back of a truck but didn't get the license number figuring who is going to steal a motorcycle at mid day and that they must have been loading it up to take it and work on it. (She was blond). :grin:
Anyway I never could replace it and being an enduro I used to ride it around town and killed several deer and elk using it as a hunting vehicle.
I don't hunt anymore and that is probably one of the reasons I don't that soured me.

Dan

That even though you don’t suspect that someone would be burglarizing a vehicle on a somewhat busy road at 10-10:30 in the morning if it seems suspicious in any way, pursue it. Also I couldn’t remember or didn’t observe what kind of car it was or the color for sure but suspect it was a Honda and it was white but am pretty confident I got the license plate number right (XNG074). Thought I remembered the day pack as being camouflaged and possibly green or brown but it turns out it was solid brown. The officer didn’t seem to be too concerned about the whole ordeal. I was not impressed with the officer involved. There’s a lot of lawlessness going on everywhere and we need to be a little more observant and somewhat police ourselves and look out for the other guy (kinda like the neighborhood watch). The burglar lied to me a couple times and you couldn’t even tell it in his expressions. If you are planning on parking and fishing somewhere where you can’t see your vehicle, don’t leave any valuables in it even locked up. The burglar didn’t look like a thief but what does a thief look like? Maybe I made a mistake by attempting to confront this guy again at the church and maybe he would have still been out front of the church when the officer arrived if I hadn’t. Even with all the suspicious activities involved it was hard for me to believe he was burglarizing the truck or that I caught this guy red-handed.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Dan, if you get follow up info could you give me a buzz??? Especially if they catch the guy. Maybe I could have the sheriff search his place for stuff that got ripped off out of my rig at Feldheimer earlier this Summer. Probably a long shot but I'm still pretty ticked.
Thanks for you pro-activeness. I'd do the same for anyone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts