IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to use up some vacation time and just wondering when would be a good time to hit buoy 10 this year??
Can I get some help out here in Ifish land???
Thanks Old River-Rat Tight lines.

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
I always write to one of the guides on ifish to see how it is going.
They are usually very helpful, but if you catch them in the middle of those long days and nights of rigging up for the next day, sometimes it's tough to get ahold of them.
I'm not sure when is good yet. But when I hear, I'll post the zipper. :smile: It's a big river, so I don't think people will mind.

Jen

·
Registered
609 Posts
Best time in August is exactly when I will be there! For the best tides @ B10 it will be:
Sunday 8/10 10:15am 7.6ft exchange
Monday 8/11 11:00am 8.0ft exchange
Tuesday 8/12 11:45am 8.1ft exchange
Wednesday 8/13 12:30pm 8.1ft exchange
Thursday 8/14 1:00pm 7.8ft exchange

Not huge exchanges but pretty good. I always make a couple of trips out their end of August when the tides are the best.

Just remember to fish RIGHT AT THE BUOY! The fish do not, I repeat, do not swim more than 100ft past it! :grin:

See ya there!

Full Freezer

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
We will be down there from the 10th thru the 18th of Aug. We always go out during that time of the year. Hope to see you there. We will be staying in the back area of the KOA we like it back there, not as many people. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
While basing things strictly on the tides is a good bet, it is certainly not the only way. I am not sure how much you fish down there, but you may know that the fish generally 'ride' the high tide into the estuary (past B10). Depending on the strength of the tide, you may see better fishing on the big incomings as Full Freezer points out. BUT...once they are up towards the bridge, many of them continue to push upriver during the ebb. So all is not lost if you can't fish a big incoming.

Keep in mind that an outgoing tide combined with the usually strong afternoon west/northwest winds make it a wicked trip back from upriver. So plan your launch around the tides and stick to your plan.

If I had to pick one weekend to go it would the 23rd and 24th. The Coho should be in thick and the nooks should still be around.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Well the best tides are a week earlier, but the limit increases to three fish a day on the 16th. I hope this helps answer your question.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Buoy 10 last year didn't seem to happen at all we fished every weekend nothing at buoy 10 However the last week of August was the best for Chinook
We caught these two about 5 minutes from each other just above the church hole in 50ft. of water down 25 ft.
]
Lost two others same place.

[ 07-25-2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
550 Posts
I asked the same thing not to long ago.
I will also be in the back of the koa
8/20 - 8/24 Green Chevy, alumaweld striker.
Come on by and tell me how to catch fish!
Walleyed :cheers:

[ 07-23-2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Walleyed ]

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
will be there from the 15th to the 25th, may even run over to astoria to look at some scienic veiw points :grin:

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
My family actually rented a house in Hammond for August 25th through August 29th. If you guys are gonna be staying in the area, come by in the evening for a frosty one.

:cheers: GRB

·
Registered
499 Posts
I prefer the smaller tides. The larger the tide the faster the fish shoot by my bait. The smaller tides in the 3 to 5 foot range allow the fish to come in without just blowing on by. So I like the tides starting the 14th. The outgoing tide is my favorite anyway. I tend to fish by the bridge away from all the crowds and hassel at bouy 10. Just as many fish and far less traffic.

SPACE

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Fishchaser- I'll be in your neighborhood the 16th thru the 24th. We are staying at the KOA as well. 26ft SALEM travel trailer and a white Toyota Tundra. Say Hi. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've never seen any fish out to 100 feet past buoy 10. The farthest I've seen 'em is 72 feet. :wink: Don't listen to Full Freezer, his freezer needs more freon. :grin:

SKP

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
From the WDFG:

With more than 595,000 fall chinook expected to return to the mouth of the Columbia this year, along with 429,000 coho, the Buoy 10 and lower Columbia sport fisheries are expected to attract considerable attention from anglers.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I hear the ocean quota has only been filled by about 8%, Just think, if those fish don't get caught in the ocean they are going to be coming into the rivers, starting with the Columbia..... :smile:

[ 07-25-2003, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: David Johnson ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Yea but ending in the Cowlitz, Toutle, Elocoman and Kalama! :grin:

:dance: :dance: :smile: :wink:

Dano

[ 07-26-2003, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts