IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, good fishing story it is...On the second to last weekend of the inner Elliott Bay Chinook Fishery in Seattle, my boat netted 16 kings varying in size from 9 to 22 lbs. Fished with at least three and most times four people at a time, had three doubles on in five separate fishing sessions (Fri night, Sat morning and night, Sunday morning and night) using green hooch trolled behind green hot spot flasher. There’s loads of humpies in the Edmonds/Mukilteo area of Puget Sound but I’ve been bitten by the King of all salmon and am looking forward to the opportunities that await near Buoy 10 instead of loading up on Humpies.

Thanks for posting replies to my ealier post.

Mike Kenney

I'm heading to Buoy 10 early next week for the first time and was hoping to get some insider information on where to fish and what to use. I’ve got a 17’ Lund (70HP main and 10HP kicker) equipped with downriggers. I'll be staying at Fort Canby SP and from what I understand they have a boat ramp with dock. Has anyone ever used this ramp, and does it get crazy like some of the others I've heard of in the area? I was also wondering how crazy the waters will be with other boats Mon-Wed, I’ll have at least two people in the boat and most times three to help with netting and steering. Any and all information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Kenney

[ 08-20-2003, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: mkenney ]

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
OK, since no one has replies yet and I launched there last weekend...

First of all, since you are a new poster, most of us like to hear a good fishing story so we can get to know you a little.

As far as Fort Canby goes, it is a decent launch, but can get crowded early. Reserve your bait and buy ice the night before at that little store between the launch and campground so you don't have to run to Ilwaco in the morning. Get in the launch line 30 minutes earlier than you are planning on fishing. It's not the easiest ramp to use (dock not right next to ramp), but it isn't bad. To pull out you sometimes have to drop someone off then float back off because there is limited dock space at busy times.

Monday to Wednesday should be nice as far as lighter traffic. 3 people in the boat is perfect.

What to use: DO a search, but herring, anchovies, and some lures as of late have been working. There is a big debate on 'organic' vs. 'synthetic'. IE lead trolling weights with herring vs. plastic divers and flashers and metal dodgers etc... I've had limited success with all of them. Limited because I am not a master at anything and all my fish are caught on luck. Read the tech sheet by luhr jensen (on their website) for Buoy 10 if you want a more exact run down of potential set-ups and areas to fish.

Typically Buoy 10 on the hard incoming (combat fishing) and towards the church hole on low tide swings. Basically there are fish everywhere there is decent depth. Another good indicator is if there are a lot of aluminum guide boats around you are in a good area. If you are fishing in the fiberglass fleet (like my boat) you might not be in the prime spot. :shrug:

STAY AWAY from wing dams on the outgoing, and never go too far South of Buoy 10 with questionable engines or boats. Clatsop spit will eat you up. There is generally no reason to get close to the jetties in this fishery (off limits anyway). More people die there than catch fish. (I guess some do crab)

Anything else? Yea tons, but spend a couple of hours searching on this board and you will learn volumes.

Good luck and have fun.

Remember if it ain't fun, it ain't worth it!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
NO FISH will be caught on Friday, August 29th. Take that day off.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I agree with lost_sailor. No fish will be caught on August 29.

Fish don't bite on the beginning of a holiday weekend, so you might as well go to the State Fair.

SKP

·
Registered
68 Posts
Standard stuff, delta diver, fishflash, green colors have been working best, and herring, 12 pulls, you can't miss, and yesterday the hatchery silvers showed up in big numbers, finally!! Good luck, be safe...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
the store is no longer an option it has been leveled into a new parking lot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts