IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a 20-21' aluminum boat and need to decide on bunks or rollers for the trailer. Dealer seem to push the bunks because they are cheaper and easier on the aluminum hull. They claim that the new glides on the bunks make loading and unloading almost as easy as with rollers. I had rollers on my previous trailer and I was glad I paid the extra money which allowed for usage at lousy ramps where I didnt need to get the trailer as deep into the water. I want to be able to onload and offload the boat by myself. Should I spend the extra $ for the rollers or are the new improved bunk/glide systems usable at marginal ramps?

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
My bunks work fine unless the ramps are really steep. In that case, the bow wants to hit the bow roller.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hi Darth Baiter...

Without knowing more about your boat/hull, you might consider having both. My 19 ft Arima (Shoreland'r trailer) has a keel roller about the helm area, and bunks at the rear. I can easily load and unload the boat by myself, and I've never had the boat roll backward. The roller allows me to drive right to the winch (or pull/drive it off the trailer easily), and the bunks provide great support when out of the water.

Other: I have a step tower at the winch which is really handy because of the relatively tall bow; and the stainless steel disk brakes are great for saltwater.

...KChookem

·
Registered
348 Posts
It depends...Are you going to drive the boat on the trailer??? or winch it on??? If you are going to drive it on get bunks. If you are going to winch it on get rollers. My bluewater has bunks and I winch it on what an sob it can be. Also have a 24' offshore boat with rollers...I LOVE IT!!! Straight on every time.As for the new type of plastic bunks...A guide I know had that material installed on the bottem of his drift boat and he can push that 17' aluminum* boat across the street by himself. So.... :whazzup:

Good luck with your choice :smile:

[ 10-22-2003, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: Steelhead Hound ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I've never had rollers, but bunks are sure easy for sled-type boats. If you envision using the boat in the salt I would suggest a freshwater washdown system for the brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts