IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...buddy and I got our hands on an old very clean fridge/freezer. Its the type with the food storage fridge part on the bottom and then the freezer part on top. We would like to turn it into a smoker.
Anyone ever did this before? Anyone have any drawings on a how to or is there a web site? Only got one fridge to use, don't wanna mess it all up.

Thanks

Mike H.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Mike,
Will discuss with ya later. send me your number in a PM cause i'm headed out the door and I'll call this eve.

[ 09-03-2003, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Administrator
119,700 Posts
Just ask my son David.

Just start you a little fire in the fridge, (He used the oven...same dif, right?) and pour on a bottle of ultra bite. It will stay lit for hours!!!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
This is one of those "don't ask me how I know this" things.

Make sure the fridge you use is one of the really old ones that is all metal inside. If there is ANY plastic inside it will melt.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just did it last winter, came out very nice & looks good too after repainting. I'ts been great to be able to smoke bigger batches cuase it doesn't last long at my house. PM me if you want & I'll give you my #

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
My dad built one years ago. One thing we had to make sure of is we used the correct racks. Some fridge racks are coated with zinc and shouldn't be used. Try to find some oven racks and retro fit them to use in your application.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hey Mikey!
Personally, I'd cark the fridge idea and build one out of wood or metal. I know that dead appliances out in the yard does lend itself to suitable lawn decor out that way. I always thought that was more of a Yacolt thing.
Come on man! Be a proud "Ambodian" and make yourself a real nice one.
However, if you go with wood construction, be sure not too let it catch on fire. Another one of those "don't ask me how I know this" and "the names of the inocent will be protected."
I know of someone who built themselves a real dandy rough-cut cedar smokehouse and filled with spring chinook. The grease from the fish dripped onto the smoldering fire and flamed up hence burning the whole works down. Sort of an offering to the fish gods.
Things to think about......
Help us fellow "Ambodians" overcome those steriotypes of days gone by and make your community proud.
I'd be more than happy to help you with one made of metal construction.
Ragnar

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Take a Tin garbage can (new) and drill some holes for rack supports.. and place some grills inside... cut a hole in the bottom and vents in the lid... now you have a huge smoker!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also thinking about making one out of two 55 gallon drums.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey Kid!

I had a heck of a time getting rid of the last dead frig in the front yard. Someone even tried to kill it with an ax if I remember right.

We should have kept the dryer that I paid $25 to haul off. That would have been easy to gut..

Call Stan (married to cousin Cindy).. that is all I can say. He would probably get a kick out of helping you too! :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts