IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never built a boat before. I am kinda handy!?!? I have the room to build a boat (triple car garage), I've got the time (work three days a week), now I just need some good plans. I would really like to start off with something simple. It appears that some drift boats can be built completely from plywood. Is this a decent option. I am not looking to bang this boat around. More just "light" drifting and lakes. Any advice? Any warnings? Any suggestions?

I saw some plans in outdoorlife for a "maxi-mac" drift boat. Says can be built in one long weekend. For me, that means 3 long weekends. ANy one try this one?

I am excited!!! Give me your opinions!

[ 09-16-2003, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: Eric W. ]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Don Hill offers plans, kits, and boats for sale. Nice looking boats! Do a search on line for Don Hill Driftboats and you should be able to find him. He is out of the Eugene area (I think).

Good luck and have fun!!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
22,191 Posts
Also look at Ray's River Dories...here in the Portland area, I think...Both he and Don make excellent boats...

EDIT: Please contact the author of this post for contact details.

[ 09-16-2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
try greg tatman boats .

EDIT: Please contact the author of this post for contact details.

[ 09-16-2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
Look up Tracy O'brien's plans. You canget them from the Wooden Boat Shop in Seattle. It's a stitch and glue technique, which is far superior in durability, space, and construction ease to the frame boats. I've also built a Don HIll, so I know whereof I speak.

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
a drift boat is a drift boat is a drift boat? i think not. different designs row better than others. bottom line would be to go with someone who knows their stuff and has a good reputation. don hill and greg tatman are two that come to mind off the bat. also, stitch and glue is a very amateur friendly building method but going with a kit from someone will result in a better finished product just because someone else has done all the critical and difficult stuff for you. whatever you do, allot twice the time that anyone else tells you it will take. life has a way of putting obstacles in your path and taking up precious time. and take lots of pics for us all. we want to see this project from beginning to end.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i built a 16 ft. wide bottom aluminum drift boat this past year. i used plans from Ken Hankinson [EDIT: Please contact the author of this post for contact details] i had alot of fun building it, i did the welding and cutting at work and most of the detailing at home. i also built the trailer from a set of plans from the same place. this site has plans for both aluminum and wood drifters. they also have some of the stitch & glue boats that others were mentioning. you could also order a kit that includes all the pre-cut pieces. i've taken my boat down the sandy and deschutes rivers and had a blast. its also a great feeling knowing you built the boat yourself, especially when other people on the river ask "what kind of boat is that" and you can say "i made it." here are some recent pics of my boat. all i have left to do is paint the outside and its done.
best of luck,
redneck

here's a link to one of the drift boat plans:
http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=driftboats-ply-alum.html&&cart_id=3180379_13469

[ 09-16-2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
You can also buy kits from Don Hill or Greg Tatman...probably others. They are great boats!. I've had a Don Hill 16' Highside for 25 years and still going strong (and looking great!)

If you want to invest in a showpiece line deck...my brother does custom line decks and will woodburn any picture or design you want. They are phenomenal (but not cheap).

[ 09-16-2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Grantspastor ]

·
Registered
558 Posts
Save your time, money, and energy. Buy my 14" wood drift boat. Freshly refinished and with a Kvlar bottom so you can bang it around. Need the grage space. will sell Cheap for $900.00

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Eric W.
I say get some plans and go for it , ( Doubell and I ) built one about 30 years ago, made it out of exterier plywood , would still be a good boat if the guy that finaly wound up with it had taken care of it. If you make it out of wood pay the extra and get marine plywood, I think you can get it in longer than 8 ft sheets, we spliced ours and it had a flat spot on the side, worked ok but looked a little funny. Good luck.
And one more thing use stainless steel or brass screws , if you use regular Cad. plated screws you will be sorry that you did. And use a glue that will adhear to metal and put glue in every screw hole. You don't want screws to work loose.
DAB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts