IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided at the last minute to head to Astoria Friday night for some sturgeon fishing. Lubed up the bearings, loaded the boat and kids and set out.

Got to Longview to discover the bridge had an hour backup on it. Decided to take highway 4 instead. Everything was uneventful until I hear this horrible squeeking sound just about the time we near Deep River. "Dad, pull over into that intersection!!!!!". After doing so we get out and find the left axle bearing glowing a nice shade of RED HOT! :shocked: NOW WHAT!!!!

I conviced dad to pull down this road to try to find a place to unload the boat. Mind you it is getting dark so we had to hustle. As we begin to unload the boat a very nice gentleman named Stanley stopped and asked if we were lost. AFter explaining our bearing problem he said we should limp the trailer up to his house a quarter mile away. Well we made it up there to Stanley's house. We found out Stanley is a blacksmith and had tons of tools to help us out. We removed the axle since it was toasted pretty well and went on over to our cabin in Ocean Park.

Next morning being very thankful we had not had an accident or hurt anyone we set out to find an axle. After a few stops we stopped in on Jeff at the Chinook Boat Repar Shop. Jeff is a very nice and helpful person and he located Potter Webster in Portland. Off we went to try to find the axle.

What a neat place that is. Wes was the sales person we dealt with and he had us all set up by 11:45 am with a new axle, bearings, hubs, u-bolts, nuts, lug nuts and bearing buddies for $130 total. What a relief.

Dropped the boys at the house and grabbed a quick bite to eat and off we went to the coast again. Fixed up the trailer and stopped at John Day ramp for a few minutes. Nothing happening so we loaded up and headed home.

Just want to Thank Stanley and Wes for all their help this weekend. Stanley, you were a God-send and we appreciate your help.

[ 06-02-2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: CATCH AND EAT ]

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Potter Webster used to be Custom trailer parts. They moved to near Delta Park. Rob, the guy I deal with has brought things to me or stayed late so I could pick them up.

You can go other places for things like bearing buddies or grease, but these guys have what you need on the shelf.

Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It is nice to hear of a business still going out of their way to help out folks. I will give them a call next time I need some axle parts.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
We had a similar experience yesterday also. We got to Warrenton and found a wheel bearing on my trailer was also shot. We called Free Willy's in Hammond as we were told that they had a boat repair shop. I talked to the mechanic who said bring it in and he would look at it. We were able to launch there at Warrenton. My friends then took the boat to Hammond while I took the trailer. While we out fishing the guys were able to replace both bearings and did some welding on my trailer all for $175.00. When we got done fishing about 2PM the trailer was waiting for us so we could get the boat home again. Great work for a fair price while we were out fishing on a Sunday. I can't say enough about this type of service. :smile:

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Catch and Eat,

I see you are a very experienced fisherman and I need your advice. How can I avoid what happened to you? Did you have any clue your bearings were going bad or did it happen that suddenly? When was the last time the bearings were packed? How often should they be? Where do you get good bearings?

I ask these questions in a positive way. I dread the day it happens to me and hope that I can avoid it. I repack my own bearings and did it last spring. I use bearing buddies and check the hubs at every stop to see if they are building up heat. Any other advice or do the darn things just go out all of the sudden?

With my luck, Stan and Wes won't be around to help when it happens to me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Potter Webster (formally Custom Trailer Parts) is the best! If you are used to buying parts a Joe's like bearings, trailer lights, tires and rims, you will be shocked at the difference in price. You can replace hubs and bearings for what it typically costs for bearings alone anywhere else. Their service ethic is also top notch. They have made what could have been a couple of dark days in the not so distant past (broken axel) much, much brighter. They also know what they are talking about.
Jean

3,877 Posts
Wow, does that scenario sound familiar. I not only blew bearings once last summer but twice. I took a gamble the first time and felt the spindle wasn't bad only to have the same bearing location go bad 2 months later on top of the pass on the Sunset Hwy. :shocked: :whazzup:

To say the least it was time to revamp my trailer. I always carried a bearing kit with me thankfully but that 2nd incident on the Sunset Hwy was so bad I could not break the bearing nut off with a socket it got so hot. Had to call the tow truck with the dolly system to get me home on that trip. :shrug:

After that incident I took my boat out to a gentleman who I now consider a good friend and go to guy for custom trailer repair. His name is Eric Cubic in Cornelius and he owns "Custom Equipment Repair." He replaced both my axels, spindles & bearings & breaks & break lines. He also installed a new tire mount on my trailer that has the bearing packed and ready to go. It is the slickest thing since sliced bread. However, I still carry my bearing tool kit complete with races & bearings & grease gun for those in need.

It is definately standard equipment as far as I am concerned. I also will for sure pay Eric a call once a year to redo my bearings. I know most people like to do that themselves and I am surely capable of doing it in an emergency situation but I prefer the work of a professional like Eric and I don't mind the cost of hiring a person that does this much more routinely than I do. I highly recommend Eric and I highly recommend a bearing job once a year if you are putting that trailer in the salt.

Good Luck, KHH

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ET, Potter Webster is the place for your trailer needs. Wes is the best on small trailer stuff. And like was said above, about 1/4 the cost of other places. I got an axle, u bolts, nuts, lugs, packed hubs, grease, bearing buddies and great service for less than $140.

I checked my bearings every trip. This time it appears the rear seal blew. The backside of the wheel is covered in grease as well as the front side.

I would say watch for heat on the hubs, grease leakage, or water coming out when you grease up the bearings. I did grease up the hubs before I left but I did not pay attention to the little bit of water that was squeezed out when I topped off the hub. :blush: This boat gets used a ton. Between Pop's and I it is used at least twice to three times a week. Mostly by Dad and mostly short trips around town here and sometimes to the gorge. This was a last minute decision. Always a good idea to pull the wheel and check things out once in a while. Most likely I could have prevented this by paying more attention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts