IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of never having it happen to me the odds caught up today.
Pulled into the launch a hair after 5AM with a couple of ff'ers up front. Two trucks(Not fishermen) were blocking the ramp and had to move to let me in. They were having some window to window discussion of some sort, it seemed odd but I went about dumping the boat in and getting to work.
I almost, but did not write the license # of the two rigs down just in case, and it may not have been those guys I saw talking who messed up my day either but it definitely was weird.
A little ways down the river my shuttle called and said my passenger side window on my new rig was punched out and looked slightly ransacked.
Wasn't anything terribly valuable, they got a nice little Craftsman socket set, a pair of broken binoculars but what spooked me was some paperwork with important numbers AND they took my registration and insurance card too!!!
I've already run down a list of any possble bank or CC# that could have been in there on an old bill and closed them down just in case but they do have street addresses of two of my residences, phone numbers for both, including cell and possibly my SSN# which, actually, was on something they left.
Anyhow, one of the rigs was a white Ford F-250 or simlar "F" and the other one noone in the boat could remember but it was red. Some detectives we were eh?
The one guy I got a decent look at was white, short hair, average build maybe 5'10", blue jeans, white shirt with red cross strap suspenders and a baseball cap. He looked like he might be off to a day in the woods or construction.
Can't say they did it but I should have listened to that little voice better this AM and got those plate numbers.
On the bright :rolleyes: side they didn't vandalize the rig any worse than the window or make the truck unusable, just breezy.
Fishing was not top-notch, as I expected. Several bumpy spots but I was in a Clackacraft today and didn't stick on anything, even took the center route just below the riffle below the put in.

[ 06-24-2003, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Mad Mikey ]

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm convinced now. I think the lack of fishing pressure is emboldening to guys who see a solitary rig in the lot.
I had a couple of empty Sage rod tubes in the backseat and they were not touched. I doubt they took the time to open them up and check because it looked like they really did the job in a hurry and would have snatched the tubes and found out later that they were empty.
I guess they thought the Sage tubes were full of spices but they sure liked my 10 year old radar detector.....

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It ticks ya off when an honest man cant park his car and have a nice day on the river.

Insurance cards: they are small.. put them in your wallet, ask for a copy from your agent and give em to everyone else who drives.
Dont leave anything in your car you dont want stolen. Its a good rule of thumb. I know,,, a person should be able to leave things and think everyone else is honest.. but it does not work that way.
Invest in a cheap alarm system, bolt a small lock box under the seat for valuble items (stereo faceplate, radar detectors, misc papers, GUNS etc,,)

Make it hard to be a victim and the crook will go elsewhere.

We have all left items in our rigs/boats unattended which could have been an easy target for crooks. It only takes a second to lock it up, and remember it also only takes a second for a crook to take it. Make it hard for them.

Sorry that had to happen to you, and be glad they didnt get anything of value, like a tackle box or a veteran fishing hat. :grin:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Feldheimers has been host to some new stuff this year. I've seen a lot more drug activity down there than in years past. It's pretty secluded and the losers feel safe. Only good thing is that there's only one way out. It would be an easy sting with 2 cars and a pair of radios. 1 car as a setup (valuables in plain sight). The other rig to block the escape until authorities arrive. I've thought about it many times. I'm just not sure I would call the cops.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Mad, I'm a credit underwriter, and you aren't through covering your tail yet. With your social security number and address the scum can destroy your credit rating for the next ten years. They can open accounts using your name, buy merchandise, bail on the payments and you won't know anything until the collectors come calling. Get in contact with the three credit reporting repositories, Transunion, Equifax and Experian, and file a consumer statement citing that you must be personally contacted before anyone issues new credit cards or opens new credit accounts in your name(wife, too). This will limit the potential reputation damages. Also, keep a copy of the police report in a file where you can find it whenever you need it for the next several years. If these cruds do louse up your credit rating, and you apply for, say, a home loan, a letter of explanation and copies of the backup documentation -police report, your letters to the credit agencies - can go a long way toward allowing you to obtain the best interest rates available.

I suggest that you pull copies of your credit report annually for the next few years just to monitor things.

When my daughter's purse got stolen last year, all was well for a month. Then they came back and stole her car. 3 months later the the dirty #*%@! began trying to open accounts in her name. A Salem detective told her who did it, but we haven't been able to find the guy yet.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OC, thanks for that info. I'm off to a day of phone calls and scurrying around. Glass guy came early so I'll be able to drive istead of take the bike!!!.

Yeah Jason, drug deal was the first thing I thought when I saw the two rigs there and their obvious irritation that they had to move out of my way.
As to the sting, I was thinking about that one on my way home last night. Hmmm, gimme a call sometime.

[ 06-24-2003, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Mad Mikey ]

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Feldheimer's is a bad place. :mad: I had my truck and trailer stolen from there a couple years ago and I know people who have had other bad experiences there. I've seen some pretty shady activity around there and that's why I don't go up there much anymore.

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but thanks for posting the warning to the rest of us - especially the descriptions. The credit bureau info is great stuff to know too.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is a repeating occurance on the Clack, especially.

Towards the enforcement question, about five years ago I made a donation to a fund that was paying for a county (?) deputy's time to patrol the river. Seems like it went on for a seaon and then faded away. Anyone know about or remember that program, like who was running it? Any chance of reviving it?

Seemed like a good idea that's needed now more than ever.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
M&M, sorry to hear about your bad deal. I think it is time for the ifish possey to catch one of these punks. The sad part is they would only get a slap on the wrist. I am sure it is a local. I think if this happens again we should do something about it. Anybody in?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
James, thanks for your concern.
My shuttle girl called me and told me what happened when she went to get the truck.
I was on the cell phone while guiding, clients were very sympathetic as I did damage control.
I'm tempted to go down there and set up a trap for these lowlifes but doing stuff like that would probably put the wrong person in jail.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you set someone up and they take the bait and break into a rig are you really "putting the wrong guy in jail"? I say no. I just had my rig broken into in my own driveway, and all they took was a couple of receipts. Left the stereo, cd's, speakers, and the checkbook. And yes, I did learn from that!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Contact the three credit companys and have a "Fraud Alert" placed on your reports. They will contact you to verify any open accounts in your name. I will look for the number for you. I think that they should have their fingers broke though :mad:

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Mad Mic Heres the phone #s of the credit reporting agencys.
Experian 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union 1-800-916-8800

And my fave :hoboy:
Equifax 1-800-685-1111

Good luck Mic, hope this helps

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Seefood. After calling them all it appears I have to get a credit report from each of them and only then will I get a number to talk to a live person. I was also informed they will need my requests for a flag on new accounts in writing.
So off I go......

·
Banned
553 Posts
Sorry to hear about this.... AGAIN!!

If anyone of you guys are serious about setting up a bust, Im in!

No, it wouldnt be putting the wrong people in jail (as they would only get a slap on the wrist) but sending a message to other thieves.

Its not a question of "if it happens again", but when.

KC

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mikey, Sure sorry to here you got hit buddy. I've gottin it 2x there and 1x at Carver. Thanks for posting. The credit info. w/ phone numbers is very valuable info.
The way things are going, I don't think any of us are safe anymore. It gives me a belly ache.
Watching for folks out of place, low lifes, and suspisious people and vehicles is a full time job around the any river.
Is the commercial boat still hung up below the ramp??? and... Did you find any summers??
Take care. Keep in touch.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm tempted to go down there and set up a trap for these lowlifes but doing stuff like that would probably put the wrong person in jail.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Agreed, as I know how I would react catching someone busting out my window. In this day and age you're on shaky ground for even defending your property. A friend told me he set up a similar type sting in his neighborhood and he and his buddies tagged the kid repeatedly with paintball guns and then called the cops....to look for the guy with splotches all over him. Had to laugh at that one!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts