IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Garmin started acting up, it won't lock on to the bottom or show any fish returns. Any ideas? My thoughts are a bad transducer as all the menus will come up.
IMG_1212.jpg

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
See if someone else has the same unit and try it in their boat. Very likely the transduction as I have had one go bad on a Humminbird. Under warranty.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Does simulator mode still work and display correctly. Call Garmin!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The simulator seems to work fine. Called Portland Marine and Electronics and they did call me back one time but haven't heard from them in a few days. Its a three year old Striker Plus 7" so maybe its not worth their time. Guess its time to upgrade to a Echomap just hope it lasts more than a few years.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You could unplug sonar connector on back of unit. Plug it back in. See if it fixes it. Maybe some water or crud got in there?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You could unplug sonar connector on back of unit. Plug it back in. See if it fixes it. Maybe some water or crud got in there?
I worked as an audio engineer, off and on, for 20 years. A lot of our gear was "permanently" patched in, in the racks. We'd occasionally have signal issues because of oxidization in the connectors between instruments in a given rack. An immediate solution was to cycle the connection - unplug, plug, unplug, plug ... repeat a few times. A more long term solution was to spray or lube the connectors with anti corrosion lubricant or conductive electrical grease.

I would also check the wiring from the transducer all the way to the plotter unit. Also check the transducer for any cracks in the plastic coating.

Let us know when you get it figured out. Good luck and thanks, CopperMan.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Call the Garmin tech support. They're pretty helpful and can walk you through the diagnosis

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I worked as an audio engineer, off and on, for 20 years. A lot of our gear was "permanently" patched in, in the racks. We'd occasionally have signal issues because of oxidization in the connectors between instruments in a given rack. An immediate solution was to cycle the connection - unplug, plug, unplug, plug ... repeat a few times. A more long term solution was to spray or lube the connectors with anti corrosion lubricant or conductive electrical grease.

I would also check the wiring from the transducer all the way to the plotter unit. Also check the transducer for any cracks in the plastic coating.

Let us know when you get it figured out. Good luck and thanks, CopperMan.
Nice. I was in the Air Force in the 90's working avionics (electronic warfare) on the A-10 Warthog. We would get PRDs (pilot reported discrepancies). A lot of times the problem would resolve itself after we reset the connector. We would have to write that in the aircraft log books. If problem came back then we would dig deeper.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put a small dab of dia-electric grease in the connectors but the screen looks the same. The transducer is out of the water though. IMG_1233.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts