IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time this week I receive my T8 Yamaha. I was told to "break in" my engine for 20 hours and then bring it back to the dealership. They also said to drive it hard and vary my speed... have you (ifishers) been required to do this process?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
When I got mine they said just don't run it a low speed or real high speed for very long at one time. 5 Min. The 20 hour check up is optional. read your warranty card for more info. I change the oil every 4 months rather it's been run much or not. Maybe 10 to 15 hours in between.

I've had mine for 18 months and love it. Starts with the push of a button everytime. I think I pull started it onec or twice just fr the fun of it.

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
My Yami book says 1/2 throttle for 1 hour, then 2/3 for 1 hour(or something close to that)...yeah, just going out and trolling is not good for it.

Anchor up some where (away from other people), put out the rods, and fire up the kicker. Good way to let it run!

TR

·
Registered
516 Posts
Some places will do the break in for you in a tank. I know Allen's Marine in Salem did mine a few years ago.

Definetely do the break in. I think it also says no salt during break in.

I have been told by several mechanics that they troubles they see with kickers are usually related to no break in and not being run above an idle much.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
The break-in in a tank does not put the motor under a load which is what they told me they want done. I just went through this with Yamaha when I called them because the dealer and the mechanic that fixed the fly wheel that was not put on properly told me. Drive it hard for 10 hrs. Run it at full throttle for 5 to 10 minuts then back off to 3/4 throttle or so for the same and repeat. It is the only way the Yamaha T-8 seats the rings and valves. They said.
The only problem thay have had with this motor is scoring of the cylinders because of the motor not being broke in this way.
I called every dealer in Oregon and eveyone told me break it in hard and none of them said they break them in for the customer which was my complaint. I did not want to spend 10 hrs of my time running my boat up and down the river breaking in a motor I bought to use.
Yamaha said basicaly oh well and "we give no tech support to anyone but dealers". After raising hell they did talk to someone who said run it hard to break it in but gave no answer as to why one has to spend so much time doing it. They said DO NOT TROLL with it until you break it in.
st

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Why not anchor, set the motor in reverse, and crank 'er up?

sounds easier than this 1/2 then 3/4 then 1/2 stuff.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input! I like the idea of anchoring up and running it in reverse... I am not wasting time running the boat without lines in the water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts