IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Jon. I volunteer as a board member of Open Meadow. I seek your help in obtaining a total of 10 balanced trout flyfishing outfits.

Open Meadow is a non-profit alternative high school that specializes in teaching kids that are unable to learn in a traditional high school setting for a variety of reasons (such as broken homes and abuse). Most of these kids come from poor homes, and a significant percentage of the students are Hispanic or African Americans. The success of Open Meadow that convinced me to volunteer as a Board Member. At last weeks graduation, three kids received their certificate of initial mastery (SIMS) and two received a certificate of advanced mastery (CAM). The proportion of kids who graduate is better than some Portland Schools.

Open Meadow runs a program that goes by the catchy acronym of T.R.O.U.T (Teach and Reach Out to Urban Youth). TROUT introduces kids to flyfishing, that otherwise would not experience the thrill of a fish on the hook. TROUT teaches fly tying year round, and fly fishing in the summer. The next TROUT summer class begins July 7 and goes for two weeks. During the class, kids will dissect a salmon with a biologist from Salmon Watch, learn entomology from a member of B.E.A.R and learn to fly cast from various local volunteers. Fishing ethics and leave no trace policies are stressed. The class culminates with an overnight trip to the Crooked River.

Here comes the ask. Because our current state of rods, reels and lines (which were relatively cheap and not very durable) has suffered years of hard use, we need the use of some balanced trout outfits. Maybe you have a 3, 4 or 5 weight that is gathering dust and you can afford to donate it to a worthy cause. Maybe you know a dealer, or have a close relationship with a fly shop, or are or know a local professional that would be willing to spend a day teaching kids to fish or tie flies.

If you think you can help, you're probably right. Respond to this post, send me an email at [email protected], or drop the teacher, Mark O'Riordan a message at [email protected].

For those of you that made it through this post, thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I have one that I learned on that is in decent shape, but older. I think it is a 6-7 weight. It works fine and I will clean it up a bit. It has some weight forward, floating line on it that is probably in need of replacing, but again still works.

If you want you can check it out and decide if you would like it. :wink: :cool:

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
Would you like complete outfits, or will you accept components? I have one or two 5 weight lines I can part with. I might also have a box of random flies and some leader material.

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh...

These threads are like a breath of fresh air to me.

...what I had in mind for ifish... precisely!

:dance:

Jen

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Components are great. We'll figure out how to make balanced outfits. Open Meadow is located in North Portland on Crawford. I can arrange pickup as well.

Thanks everyone,

Jon

[ 06-18-2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: spookalotafish ]

·
Registered
136 Posts
I might be able to help out with this, not by donation but is this a camp or what? I have been fishing for ten years andbeen fly fishing from five out of the ten. I'm 15 so I'd be right around there age.... Would I be any help to you??

John

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jon,

What is the address on N Crawford? I may have a rod/reel/line that can be dropped off. After all, I have not perfected the art of casting two fly rods at once :shrug:

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
Jon,
I to have a rod that I could drop off this Saturday..............

Please post an address/phone number for more info.

Thanks,
JK

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your generosity.

Open Meadow is at:
7654 N. Crawford
Portland, Oregon 97203

Ask for Mark O'Riordan.

For those of you that would prefer pickup. Email me directions and a convenient time at [email protected]

Thanks to Jen for encouraging this post.

Jon

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fellow Ifishers.

FYI: Of all the boards I put this post on, Ifish subscribers provided the most help (and it isn't even a fly fishing board).

Much thanks,

Jon
Still collecting help.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I will give you a reel I have (with line on it). I broke the rod a few years ago. Can I mail the reel to the address you listed above?

RF

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
This board is a marvel......... :shocked: :smile: :smile:

I'm still in the collecting phase so no doubles for me otherwise I would gladly send them on but I will mention to my non-ifish buddies. Yes there are still a few fishermen that don't hang on this board, which is hard to believe. :tongue: :grin:

And thanks to you Jon.

[ 06-20-2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: digifish ]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Jon, could you update us on what you're getting and what you still need? My buddies and I could probably pull together a few more pieces to your important puzzle. Keep up the good work. I've never seen anything but positive results when you take kids fishing and teach them outdoor ethics.

Rod Ross

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rod Ross,

A few generous ishers have donated a total of two complete combos, an extra reel, two 5 wt fly lines and a handful of flies and leaders.

We still need complete packages or components to make complete packages.

Thanks to all.

Jon

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hey spookalot....when I was in S. Korea, part of the benefit of being there is that we would go to Seoul and buy fishing gear. A lot of brand name gear is made there and we could get seconds for very cheap. I'll rummage around on the intenet and see if I can put you in contact with someone over there.

·
Registered
16,608 Posts
Jon,
When I dropped off the fly rod that I had donated I got a chance to meet Mark and talk with him a little about the program you guys run and I must say that I was most impressed. What you guys are doing to help introduce our youth to the world of fishing as opposed to just hanging out getting in trouble is to be commended.

Guys, this is a really great program and I for one will be willing to donate/volunteer to help out with any of their future needs. This program is just the stuff we need to get our youth out there standing next to us fishing instead waiting until we leave so they can smash your window.

Jon, I take my hat off to you for stepping up and volunteering your time like you do to help our youth and feel free to post here or e-mail me privately any future needs your program may need.

JK

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Jon...I just sent you an email letting you know I dropped the rod/reel off.

Good luck! :grin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts