IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your preference for winter steelhead: Braided line all the way to the jig or braided line with mono leader. Does this vary based on the conditions? What conditions? How long of a leader do you use? What is less visible to or steelhead: mono or a braided line much smaller in diameter: like 10lb mono vs 20lb power pro. I am very new to fishing braided line but I loved it fishing for (not very line shy) silvers this year in the Sandy. I've had good success jig fishing for steelhead (mono all the way) the past couple of years an I just don't want limit my success.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I don't use braided lines when jig fishing just 8lb berkley XL.I fish from a boat so I'm not having to cast that far so mending the line is not a problem.I do know some who use braided lines and they run a 3-4 foot mono leader.
R.R.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I'm a big believer in Power Pro. The stuff is hard to beat if you're float fishing. I used mucilin coated mono for over ten years and power Pro is in my opinion a much better way to go.

For winter steelhead I like using Power Pro as my mainline and then 10# maxima ultragreen for the leader.

Mark

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I actually prefer Fireline line
#20 on my casting reels
#14 on my spinning reels

and I use the flame green on both

It is easy to workwith
casts a country mile and you get a couple years out of it!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion between the moss green power pro and the yellow power pro? I think I've decided to go with the power pro but am trying to decide which color, I think the moss green will blend in alot better than the yellow.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I fish hi-vis line on everything these days!
Boat rod, float fishing as well a drift fish, even plug rods!

I like to know where and what my line is doing as well as know where the line is of others in the boat!

I take a black sharpie and color the bottom 6' or so but I don't think it matters!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Go with the Moss and 3-4 foot of mono. I like the mono for shock, plus it's MUCHO easier to snip and retie to swap your jig, it takes me about 2 inches to re-tie, plus i figured the shalowest i'll fish with a sliding bobber would be the length of my leader, in this case 3-4 feet.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I can't seem to tie a blood knot to my satisfaction. Is there any reason not to use a swivel?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I use a swivel!
Never had any problems...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I use 20# green Fireline, tied to a barrel swivel and two to three feet of 10# mono leader. If you're going to use a slider, place a bead below your bobber and a corkie above the bobber. When the corkie jumps on top of the bobber, you know your jig is " down in the zone". The bottom bead keeps the swivel from getting stuck in the bottom of the bobber. The green line lets you know exactly where your line is and if it needs mended. When you're having trouble seeing your bobber due to the glare on the water, switch over to a West Coast float, but turn it upside down. The black shows up real well in those conditions. This is what has been working for me. This float fishing or bobber fishing, what ever you want to call it, doesn't seem like "real" steelhead fishing, I'm a died in the wool drift fisherman and spoon tosser, but it is difficult to argue with success. While my buddies continue to use drift gear and spend a great deal of time rerigging, I just keep on floating along and catching fish :rolleyes: ..... BOBBER DOWN, :grin: GET THE NET!!! :mad: Good Luck :smile:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again everyone. :cheers: While I probably won't be rigged up much differently than I had originally planned (other that adding a corkie and bottom bead) I will now have much more confident going into my first steelhead trip of the season. The anticipation is killing me!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
if u want to lose fish, fish with braid, if u want to land them fish with mono, braided floats better, but its also very unforgiving.

·
Registered
14,699 Posts
If you want to hook fish, use "funny line" (braid, fire, power pro...) If you want your line to sink, miss bobber downs, miss hook sets, don't have a good action 9' or 10' rod, don't use a reel with a good drag...use mono :tongue:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
You can chalk me up as one who doesn't like braids for float fishing.........at least steelhead float fishing.

I use mono with musclin, and prefer it over braided line.

If you miss float-downs, hook sets, and your line is always sinking.........blame yourself, not the line.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm definitely sticking with the braided line. I used it my last 2 trips bobber and egg fishing for fall coho. I loved how it floats and casts and didn’t have any trouble with hook sets. I would be interested in hearing why you don’t like it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hi-vis yellow 20lb.Powerpro w/Maxima UG leader. Same swivel, bead & corkie set up as above. Has increased my success by a very wide margin.

Now all I have to do is continue to coax my wife to the First Cast Jig site to have her order me the Big Kahuna Holiday basket! :grin:

Full Freezer

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
It just doesn't suit the way I fish jigs. I usually go with 8 or 10 lb lo-vis green mainline and tie it directly to the jig with a Thill float attached to the line with silicone sleeves. That way, I have no lead, swivel or additional knots. I'm usually fishing smallish rivers, or from a boat, so I don't need to cast too far.

IMO mono with musclin mends easier than braid does, and I like the shock protection you get from mono. Mono is also less visible than braided lines, which look like rope to me floating on the water.

I fished braided line a whole season on my steelhead float rod, and found that I prefer mono, that's all.

It's not like there's a right or wrong answer here. Fish what feels best to you. That's the real test.........you can catch fish using either one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts