IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all! Just out of curiosity, how many of you bow to these leaping chunks of chrome? I`ve watched it done a lot on the tube when someone was tangling with Tarpon on a fly, but never tried it my self. Mainly cuz I`m so caught up in the moment that all I can do is rear back and hold on. Does it work? Any and all input is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Stew is the only one I will bow to. :grin: :tongue: :grin:

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
No need. With Tarpon, you're trying to keep a 100lb plus fish from getting leverage on 15 lb leader. The tarpon can shake it's head a good two feet while jumping, which can break the leader. With steelhead, you're fighting a fish with leader that is close to the same weight of the fish. No problem.

·
Registered
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx all! I`ve lost soooo many over the years during or directly after the jumping, that I thought I would try this some day. Probably lost over half of them that really got airborn, but then maybe some of you all have had the same luck. Quite a few of them got tangled in the line while performing their wild girations in the air, so I figure maybe keeping the line low in the water will put more drag on it and reduce the slack. I guess I`ll find out next hookup if I have time to react. Later all :tongue: . Fishft.

G

·
Originally posted by Tanner:
Stew is the only one I will bow to. :grin: :tongue: :grin:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Glad you've finally figured it all out Tanner :wink:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I know Stew, I am really sorry it took so long. Please accept my apology. :grin:

·
Registered
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool haircut Stew! :grin:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Silver Hilton had it right. I have caught about 20 tarpon and hundreds of steelhead. The bowing is to keep a huge fish from getting leverage on light leader and either breaking it, pulling the hook out of a very hard mouth, or rubbing against the leader and sawing through it. Tarpon have many very sharp edges on gill plates that will saw through a leader in a heartbeat. The first tarpon take I had I never felt. My guide saw a nick in my leader and said”That was a tarpon t. they can nick your leader without you ever feeling they were near the lure.

No need to bow to a steelhead. Maybe trip your cap. . . .

·
Registered
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx all! I`ll try all of the above, including tipping my hat. :grin: Fishft.

·
Registered
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surecatch, I lived in Fla. for a couple years, but never got the time to chase the Mighty Tarpon. Sure wish I had taken the time. Always wanted to try one of those on for size! :shocked: Another fish I never tied into down there was (can I say it on this board?) :shrug: Bass. Later all. Fishft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts