IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could somebody please post a pic of the ratchet system you use to attach the bouy to your anchor line and explanin how you would rig that for when you release with a big fish on. I mostly am going to fish the Fraser and have a River Hawk anchor setup(similar to Columbia river anchor) and was curious how you rig it. I was going to use something like 80ft of anchor rope and 4 feet of chain and if that dont hold, I shouldnt be fishing there. This is going on a 17ft lowe sled. I need to figure out how to release incase I hook a big nook or sturgeon. Thanks :grin:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Better rethink your rope choice, it would not be wise to head into the columbia with any less than 300'. 80' is way too short to be safe in 80% of the places you want to acnchor and 100% of the fishery. Not sure about the ratchet system you are talking about, I the ez slider from either fishermans or GI Joes real easy to use.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Remdrake...while I have never fished the Fraser, if you think 80 feet is enough, it is always better to have a little extra. As a general rule, depending on current speed, you will need 4-7 times as much rope as depth to anchor solidly.

As far as the the "ratchet" system, their are several commercially made versions with the EZ Marine Anchor puller, being one of the most popular. It simply slides on your anchor rope. It has a pin that slides to lock the bouy to your anchor rope and then when pulled, it lets the rope slide through to lift the anchor. When you put in on, be sure you get it on the right way, otherwise it won't work.

You should be able to pick up one at GI Joes or Fisherman's. They (EZ Marine) may also have website you can order off of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts