IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to throw a tip out that I have picked up that has worked pretty good for us.

This works really good if you are fishing 4 or more rods off your boat and probably would work ok with 3.

Take your two side rods and set them up with fishflash or dodgers, something that makes a big flash. Take your two back rods and fish a diver only, no other attractors, with a longer leader, say 7'-9'. Make sure to throw an extra bead chain in those long leaders to minimize tangles.

Fish your side rods 3-7 pulls shorter than the back ones and hold on. The shallower fish flash attract fish to the boat and catch their fair share but bigger fish will usually be caught on the back rods because the fish think those baits are injured baitfish that are sinking from all the ation on the shallower fishflash rods. My normal setup will be side rods 7-13 pulls and the back rods at 14-23 pulls. Setting up this way gives you a nice stagger to cover a lot of water and I feel a more natural presentation to the fish!

Oh ya if all else fails you can be like Zaq and just use carrots under a bobber... those fish just can resist that! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
5 cents, you should get some type of Ifish award for most fish pics posted in a year.
That tip sounds like a good one and without thinking about it, we had similar results like that last year. :dance:

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
A good tip.

Here is another-

If there is room, run 1 rod shallow in the propwash of the kicker. The cohos are attracted to it. They are not at all afraid of the boat. 4-10 pulls is a great place to start.

This tip has been brought to you by "Mark and the dog" brand shampoo.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Also, don't be afraid to try something other than herring!

·
Banned
39 Posts
Here's another method I picked up in Canada. Run your flasher directly off of your down rigger ball, then run your bait 6-10 feet out from the ball. Make sure and use a good swivel, or the action of the bait will twist the line between the bait and the release point.

This allows you to fight the fish with nothing between you and the hooks. (Enabling a lighter rod and more feel.) It also makes it easier to fish more than one rod off of one downrigger.

Spookalotafish

[ 08-26-2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: spookalotafish ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the tip, will give it a try Weds. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thanks for the tip :cheers: I wouldn't think it would make a difference when using carrot milk :grin:

·
Registered
215 Posts
We fished out in front and up river from Hammond Friday from 9am-1:00pm and caught 6 of out 7 fish (six coho, one chinook) on hoochie setups like this: Delta Diver, 6' leader to small flasher, 26" leader to blue and white hoochie and a chunk of herring. They say 36" leader to hoochie to target chinook.

This is the standard setup on the ocean out of DB that we used years ago when I worked on both charter and commercial salmon boats.

I was pulling cut-plug herring around that kept getting fouled up, so I thought I'd try something new and put on a hoochie. Caught a fish on that so put on another hoochie, caught another fish and by the end of the day had three hoochie setups and one herring setup.

RSL

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Brando I think you used the Carrot rub the other day that seemed to help ya out. Where is your newbie story punk :tongue: .........Chris

[ 08-26-2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: fishnxtc ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts