Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes...let's hear em. The Oregonian says "Limits have been the rule..."
I'm way skeptical.

·
Premium Member
22,173 Posts
I'm over here now and it seems to be pretty good...lousy tides in the morning, but fish are caught on the Washington side.
(I was skeptical, too, but not now)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
our boat is only 16 foot, we never venture out over the bar. It's awesome outside right now, but I think most fish are just trickling in. I'm fishing with guide Kelley Short sunday with my dad, so hopefully he's dialed in. Spoke with him last night and he's been landing fish at the bridge, so that's our plan. Wish me luck!
GBS

·
Registered
206 Posts
A buddy of mine and his grandson and I fished the area Wed. and Thur. Wed. we stayed inside and fished from Chinook across to # 21 zigzaged to the church and up to the bridge. Saw a few fish caught just below the bridge, including what looked to be about a 30 pound chinook.

Thur. we went outside, and fished from #2 out to the CR . Hit fish all the way. Ended up with a boat limit of coho (6) including a 15+ and one about 12. The rest probably 8-10 with one small one about 5. I was surprised with the size after the reports I'd been hearing. The guys must be eating and growing fast. We also released 10 wild fish and had a couple more takedowns. All in all, a great day on the big blue. Oh ya, we were useing cut plug herring.

Tight lines to all

·
Registered
206 Posts
A buddy of mine and his grandson and I fished the area Wed. and Thur. Wed. we stayed inside and fished from Chinook across to # 21 zigzaged to the church and up to the bridge. Saw a few fish caught just below the bridge, including what looked to be about a 30 pound chinook.

Thur. we went outside, and fished from #2 out to the CR . Hit fish all the way. Ended up with a boat limit of coho (6) including a 15+ and one about 12. The rest probably 8-10 with one small one about 5. I was surprised with the size after the reports I'd been hearing. The guys must be eating and growing fast. We also released 10 wild fish and had a couple more takedowns. All in all, a great day on the big blue. Oh ya, we were useing cut plug herring.

Tight lines to all

·
Registered
147 Posts
Went out today across the bar at about 8:30 and had our limit of six fish by 12:15. Went through about 4-6 natives before we got all of our keepers. Most of the fish ran 8-13 pounds with a couple in the 6 pounds. We also had alot of short strikers. Bouy 10 was dead. We never saw a fish caught on the line on the way out and when we came in, there were only 3 or 4 boats fishing there.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Fished from 7am-2pm, B-10 to just above the Astoria bridge on the WA side. Caught an anchovie on my plug-cut herring :smile: (it was wild so I had to release it). Bonked about a million more trolling i.e. huge clouds of baitfish everywhere. Saw two nets fly all day for 100+ boats. Not many fish at all today for sure.

-Bottomfeeder

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can attest to what the others have reported...pretty slow today for us....fished church hole and buoy 10 and lost one 20 lb. or so at the boat but worked damn hard for that. I heard of and saw limits coming back from the big pond.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
live report. Just called my friends down there.
one word: SLOW They fished the bouy at the incoming, and nothing was going on. They are now up by the bridge fishing the end of flood, still nothing. I think it's a day by day thing still, untill the masses make the journey.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discouraging, but appreciated GBS. Thanks. The tides probably rippin it up today, is that why they hadn't gone over the bar?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Johnny Mac,

Dumb question, but what is "ttt".

All,

Some friends of mine ventured out into the remainder of "Noah's flood" out of the Columbia last Monday, and caught a boat limit of 12, which included 3 chinook, and also some natives released in 3 hours of fishing. They didn't fish inside. I don't know what they were using. They are going again next Monday.

SKP

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
to the top=ttt :blush:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Columbia Salmon and Steelhead fishing at Buoy 10 and the Astoria area. For a real treat try taking a light/med Salmon rod with a little more action than your regular Salmon rod down to the Oregon Coast bays or Buoy 10 this weekend.
Rig with small to medium spinner and hang on. There are more Stellhead at Bouy 10 - Astoria Bridge than there are Salmon.If you can read water like an expert you can limit on Steelhead and you have the possibility of landing a Chinook or a Coho Salmon.Smaller spiners are working best.It seems green and red are the hot colors. No surprise there.I will be guiding some fly fishermen at Buoy 10 later this month and I am really excited to have them onboard. For you Youngsters out there. In the "olden" days we used nothing but " coho flies " and wood plugs.I can't remember not geting limits at the mouth of the Columbia and in Puget Sound.Have Fun and think about the Steelhead that are all around you at Buoy 10. Enjoy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Went out yesterday..Ocean was Awsome! No Nooks but some very nice Coho's.. Limits were fast..

Saw alot of boats around "A Jetty" catching on the way back in.. Good Luck Be Safe!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Fished 9 miles South of buoy 4 yesterday. Only boat there, 10 fish hooked, 6 landed, 4 coho retained with 2 chinook released (we'd rather eat coho). Fished less than 1 hour. Small swell, but steep chop with short interval made for a bumpy ride out.

This is a picture of my sweety Barb with one of the Coho. All the fish were between 13-16#.
Jean

·
Registered
855 Posts
Fished Bouy 10 Saturday the 9th. very slow as far as I saw both for us ( fed to fish) and for the other boats. A few were hooked. ( very few).

Seems most of the fish at the dock (hammond) were from out side. Bar was flat all morning, but I was still to chicken to venture out. ( who knew it was going to stay that way all morning)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Fished the Church hole, bridge and also Chinook and saw very few today. Only a couple of chinook and a few Coho, The bite happened in the middle stages of the outgoing by the bridge. I will be giving it a few more days and hopefully the "Nooks" will start showing up in force. I know the "Big Blue" is producing lots of Coho but not very many Chinooks based on what was checked at the dock today. Does anybody have a guess when the Chinooks will show? I have my dad flying in from out of town on Thursday and I want to make sure he catches a couple on friday and saturday. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts