IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you don't speak fluent borg, I'll run Pete's response through the universal translator for you. Avoid Clatsop Spit at all costs! If you don't, you may not live to regret it. The coasties teach their rough water motor life boat class there for a reason.

[ 07-03-2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Ramstrong ]

·
Registered
609 Posts
:laugh: :laugh:

I'll trust that answer. But, what is different? If on a calm day, right tide, is it possible? I do believe the CR is a completely different animal (fangs, lazerbeams etc.) but can it be done? Have you known anyone crazy enuff to do it & how did they do?

If you so chose to accept this mission......da da Da DA da da

Full Freezer

·
Registered
480 Posts
ANYTHING is possible..this appears to be a classic risk vs reward situation. The risk is a known - your life. I have never heard of anyone who has fished this area to determine what the reward is, but at best it is a great day fishing. There are great days fishing to be had within minutes that are not as risky. You're choice :shrug:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have picked up a copy of "Boating Oregon's Coastal Waters" at the marine board. It is a very handy manual shows all of the river entrances and ports along the Oregon Coast a long with some navigational information. It says there is an area called the sunken jetty out there tha is just under the suface extending from the south jetty. It says to avoid this area at all costs as there is sneakers, as well as rips coming off the sunken jetty. It also says to avoid the area off clatsop spit for similar reasons.
I don't have the booklet in front of me but I'm pretty sure that my memory is correct. You might do a little research yourself.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Are you talking about the inside (north side of the south jetty) or the outside (south side of the south jetty)?

If your talking about the inside, the water is generally shallow, like 10-15' on an average day at low tide. You can fish it and watch everybody else catch fish in the deeper water around the buoy, if you'd like.

If your talking about the outside, which I think you are, I couldn't tell you. I've never had the need to explore when salmon fishing off the CR, and I've yet to ever see anybody fishing there.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am talking about the outside (south side) of that jetty. Just like you would fish at Tillamook. I also know about that sunken jetty. It just seems to me a likely place to fish if the conditions are right & your being careful not to get to close to shore, mouth & jetty. South jetty at Tilla was great the times I fished there but I know the CR is the mightiest & the Big Blue very unforgiving.

Anyone brave enough to conduct a test fishery??

Full Freezer

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
South of the south Jetty at Tillamook is a channel and calm water ... the jetty extends perpendicular from the coast creating a protected zone. The south jetty from Clatsop spit doesn't appear, looking at recent charts, to have such a channel, and from the angle of the jetty relative to the predominant currents and winds, I would not expect to find anything similar in that area. For a detailed description of the area READ THIS.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's what I'm talking about Pete! Right there between where it says "Ocean" and the south jetty where it is NOT shaded. Area B is definitly treacherous but its the other side of it. On calm days it has looked "fishy" relative to my experience at Tilla. Even the description doesn't mention the south side of the jetty at Clatsop Spit.

And it still amazes me now one has ever tried it there. Don't get me wrong, if it's as dangerous as you may say it is, I will steer well clear. But, I've been out there many times & it has looked relatively safe. I've never fished there nor have I seen anyone there.

Hasn't anyone tried it or at least have had the same thoughts????

Full freezer

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I was younger, I fished both sides of the south jetty - from the jetty - never from a boat. It’s a 3 hour rock hop just to get out to where the fish are. Makes the south Tillimook jetty seem like a stroll in the park. The jetty is shallow on both sides all the way out, except for one small stretch on the river side near the end. I’ve caught a lot of sea bass and lings there but you can catch salmon too. All fishing I did was catch and release. Try hiking back with a load of fish in your backback and you’ll see why.

Now days, I have a boat and have dreamed about going back to that area for rock fish but I haven’t done it yet. The conditions would have to be perfect, and even then, you would only have about an hour to fish. I’m talking a slack tide and a weak one at that. An ebb tide would be way too rough to fish, and a flood tide would quickly put your boat on the rocks or into the surf if your motor decides to act up. It’s just not worth the risk.

By the way this part of the jetty is inside the Columbia Control Zone, a section of river between buoy 10 and buoy 4, that is always off limits to salmon fishing.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have fished along and outside the South Tillamook Jetty for Kings and was wondering if anyone had taken a shot along the south side of the Columbia jetty?? My WA regs clearly show the exclusion zone around the mouth but it does not encompass the area just south of the jetty. I had never seen anyone on the Oregon side of the south jetty trolling like you would down at Tillamook.

Is it too dangerous? Not allowed? No fish or what?

I'm thinking of giving it a go but first I would like to discuss this with the ifish "BORG". :grin:

Thanks,

Full Freezer

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
The Collective has assimilated your heretical, individual notion and rejected it for the good of the Borg. Shallow sands and breakers would take many units. The cost to the Collective would be high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts