IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever simply got into the deeper water, dropped your rig to the bottom, put out 50 ft. or so of line, fired up the kicker, point the bow upstream, and idle along, floating downstream, no anchoring? My thought is that a person could safely fish the channel, and pick up and get out of the way even more quickly if any of the Big Boys came along. Any thopughts? Tacklebuster, SIR...please respond, I especially value your opinion, SIR :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I saw a guy doing that a few months ago, and he smoked 'em!!! Multiple hookups per pass!! Look like work, like he was bouncing 24 oz. plus. he also had a tr1 to keep him straight. My buddies and I were vrey impressed.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I have "back bounced" the oversized out on the columbia at the fishery before but you have to be carefull about snagging up. go with lighter lead so it doesn't park every time just sort of tap along. But that will work the sturgeon will slam it.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I ran across this by accident two years ago and it totally blew my mind. I was anchored up in one of my "usual" spots in the heavier current for about 15 minutes just ready to pull in and move when my anchor started to slip. I started getting bit like crazy as my bait "jigged" across the bottom. I let myself slowly back down the river and we started hooking fish. The fish were more aggressive and inhaling the bait!

I have tried this method when the bite has been slow and have had some pretty good results. My favorite time to do this is when the tide is slack and the wind is pushing you around. I will pull anchor and bounce my bait almost straight up and down, dragging it along. This is how I almost always fish a slack or flood tide in the Portland area when it is impossible to stay straight on anchor. My favorite spot to do this is the "meat hole" at Kelley Point and the gut of the main channel just below.

I use very little weight (4 ounces) and a light rod. People will look at you like your crazy but you'll catch fish, I know I do. Matter of fact, my best day this year in the Portland area was a result from this. We hooked 6 big keepers in a hour time slot just below the meat hole.

Good fishing and post your results :cool:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thnx very much for the responses, I will be out Sunday early thirty, 14 ft. western with 15 hp and 5 hp kicker, Ifish sticker on :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Drifting for Sturgeon works well with just about any stinky fish bait. Heres one to try. Load up a big hook with a ton (or as many as you can get on a hook) with worms.
drop it right over the side, with about 6-10 oz. of weight find the bottom, and let out about 20 yards. Drift with the current.
This is a kick. They hit em pretty hard and often.
Ken

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pounddown, you never caught a sturgon so you shouldent say that!!!
:dance: :dance: :dance: and also Iam going to try it!!! Dont you wish you were here?? :laugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts