IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've heard of lots of problems with the fishin' buddy's (mostly fogging of the screen), but has anyone had any problems with their other models?

also, i'm shopping for a finder for my drifter. i was thinking of getting a 12v model and running it off of a motorcycle battery. any pros and cons of this set up vs. a portable unit?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Amp, do a search on them here on ifish, you'll find a lot more comments on them here than the net. Good luck

[ 07-03-2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: skrimmy ]

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm torn. does the lack of response on this thread mean that people have them and don't have problems with them? or, does it mean they wouldn't think of buying them because they're worthless pieces of junk?

i'm sure that there are "better" models out there (more bells, more whistles, more gizmos) but the one i'm looking at now is on closeout and i've got a gift certificate with the company that's selling them. for a drifter all you really need to know is how deep it is and maybe the water temp. i've checked the web and there seems to be a lack of information regarding opinions on depth finders (unlike things such as digicams where there are more than enough people willing to tell you what they don't like about the ones they bought).

c'mon folks, help me out here.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I own a Fishing Buddy 1200, I love it...low maintenance, accurate...yes, the screen will mist over in chnging weather conditions, but I have had that happen only twice, also...they stand by their product. A week ago, I had the handle/battery holder fall off into the big C, bummer...I called them up, I had a new handle and o ring in the mail two days later...rush delivery. A fine product for the money, and good peaple...by the way, thnx Jeff from Bottomline, if you raed this, Ken in Brush Prairie.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have a tournament leader I believe style # 3500, with the way I fish for Salmon I absolutely need the simultaneous Sidefinder for both sides of the boat. That feature alone keeps me with Bottomline, countless fish have been caught because of the dual sidefinder.

Jim

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
I have the Hummer DX200 portable,12volt via two 6volt lantern batteries. Great set up for the DB.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One of my top fishing buddies has had a bottomline (1200? model) with GPS built in, and he has had to have it repaired once (not fogging, bad switch). Of course it get lots of use and he bought it used five years ago. It is amazingly accurate, and the sidefinder feature is quite useful. So, my assessment is positive overall. I however own a Lowrance for my own boat.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The fishing buddy is a piece of garbage. I have owned three and my nephew has had two. I tried the first generation and had nothing but problems. I exchanged it for the same model and had problems again. Ok, so maybe I'll exchange this one and trade up for quite a few more bucks. Nope, same thing again. What was the problem you might be thinking. In cold weather the screen will go black. Not until the sun or heater is applied will it work. The screen will completly fog over which makes it of little use. In faster water not raging, just fast water will cause the screen to go crazy. Then to top it off the moisture that is fogging the screen is also getting into the electronics and one day it just won't work at all. I will never own one again nor will I ever recommend one to anybody. It's quite a shock to see they are still on the market. I have gone with the 12v battery and the heavier duty alu. transducer bracket at fishermans. It will allow you adjust your transducer and flip it out of the way. It's tougher in the drifting though. Good luck. Just my two cents.

SPACE

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have this model on my raft and have had NO problems with it. http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=37443&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse I have the portable depth finder that uses 8D batteries. Originally, I thought I would have to change the batteries often, but still have not had to after about 15 days of fishing (6-8 hours). I have the transducer mounted to a bar on the motor mount, that swivels up out of the water. It also comes with a suction cup mount, that sticks to metal/alluminum EXTREMELY WELL! This portable model is truely portable and not bulky like the fishin' buddy. It literally takes 2 minutes to hook this up to a different boat if you want to. The screen folds down when not in use, which makes it about half of the size. The entire unit is about the size of a small shoe box. I have nothing but good things to say about this depth finder. :dance:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I have an Eagle 128 portable similar to Freespool's Humminbird. Totally self contained. Batteries (2x 6v) are contained in the base, which is where you store the suction cup transducer when not in use. If I use Duracell batteries, they'll last almost 2 years.
I've abused it mercilessly, and the head (screen)finally quit after 8 years. Eagle sent me a new, updated head for $50, which is a lot cheaper than a new finder. :smile:

Hey, I just noticed that I'm now a Chromer! When did that happen? :whazzup:
:dance: :cool:

[ 07-06-2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've got the Bottomline Tournament Master HR
aand like it just fine it has never given me any proplems.It works great.I don't hardly ever use the sidefinder option except for playing around if I get bored.Its got a shark game on it too if you get really bored. :shrug:
Bob :grin:

[ 07-06-2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I own a "Tournament Pro SF" (side finder)
I love the heck out of it. When I was looking at a larger boat a couple of years ago I was going to bring that fish finder over to the new boat.

This fish finder was on the boat when I purchased it new in 1995. I didn't have an owners manual or anything else, but I learned how to work it by pushing buttons.

I would not trade it for anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i own a fishin buddy and it is going back to cabelas.the screen fogged up any time the sun shined on it.the depth was not very accurate.
i used it for stugeon fishing acouple of times.in the same hole,some days it would say 30' and other days it would say 85'.
i bought the portable eagle fish finder with the suction cup and it works great.i have never had the suction cup fall of yet.works great at a whole 7.5 mph on my drifter, the fishin buddy did not work very good while moving.
anyway i hope this helps.
david

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the 6500 with gps. I love it to death. It runs two cannon downriggers also. Very easy to use and a huge screen that you can split giving you the option to view gps/sonar on the same screen. Or downrigger control/ gps on the same screen or a bunch of other variations. I recommend this unit to anyone looking for an all around unit. The way this unit controls downriggers is better than I even thought it could be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts