IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished with my wife, daughter, and two of the neighbor kids today out of the fishery. The kids had a blast with the shad. We boated 63 of the buggers in no time. I only got to fish for my precious for a short time due to the short attention span of my daughters play mates but for the hour I got to bath a trimmed shad we got a 9 footer to wrestle around with near the deadline in 34 feet of water.

She aired on us three before turning over to be petted. Hardly no wind and flat water. Gotta love that. Still a little slow in my opinion for the peelers but it's still early. I didn't see many people on the Columbia river sleigh ride today. Gotta bag the crab and peeler bait.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Tacklebuster; Where bouts you fishin shad? My kids would love it and me's thinks the crab bait would be nice :grin:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put in at the fishery and head upriver. Go past Beacon Rock and anchor anywhere on the Washington side. I like 15 feet of water in fast current. We brought 63 home, released at least 20 and used a couple more for bait. They are in super thick. I like using an ultra light spinning outfit with 8 pound spider wire. 5 foot of leader and 3 foot of lead line with a 2 ounce weight.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
93Striper,My wife and I put in at Chinook Landing and anchored up to an island...20'of water,
Caught enough to keep us busy in the 3 or so hours we were there.

Afterwards we enjoyed some nice burgers :smile:

MrDorkfish

Louis

[ 05-26-2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Mrdorkfish ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Chris - do you know if there are any good shad spots down in my neck of the woods (near St. Helens) on the Columbia? Coon Island is getting awfully crowded anymore and yesterday was real slow with most boats only getting a few. After sitting in three spots for about an hour and only catching 3 at Coon, I headed out to Bachelor Island and nobody was there, but I couldn't find any shad either. I tried three different spots in 15-20 feet of water with three different colors of dick nites, the bare steelhead hook that works so well at coon and the green grubs that everyone is using. I didn't see anyone fishing shad between St. Helens and Bachelor Island - they must be coming through there - anyone know where?

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Chummer,

I am sure that Chris is aware of the rules. If you read his post "carefully" he was catching the shad upstream of Beacon Rock for bait. Please take the time to comprehend what he had to say before making a comment like the one you made.

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chummer- If you "read" my post you will see the words "near the deadline." Since I said near the deadline that should indicate I am aware of the regulations and I was fishing on the correct side of beacon. This is one of the many reasons why I knew better than to post this report :hoboy:

Joe- Those buggers should be everywhere in your neck of the woods. The only reason I fish the gorge is the shear numbers of fish you catch but they have to be passing through your area. I would think anywhere near Sand Island in 12 to 18 feet of water with a fast current should put up some fish.

[ 05-27-2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
TB, No flame intended! However, over the past 30+ years of fishing the gorge, I've witnessed ALOT of supposedly knowledgeable fishermen who either knowingly or ignorantly fished in off-limits waters, I my self have fallen into the later category during emergency closures. When we refer to the deadline in this area, 90% of the time we're talking about the dam deadline, would'nt you agree? Again, no arguement intended. I will be going up to get my crab bait shortly. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
TB I guess all one has to say is read you'r post. A dead line is a dead line. It's the one that is active at the time. They move all year up river, there is no "one" dead line. At one time of year the center of the Columbia and above and below Tanner Creek are all dead lines.
I thought you'r first post was right on, and was informative for people who are looking for information.
Keep up the good work.
st

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not sure where you get your statistics for 90 percent of the time so no, I wouldn't agree. When I mention sturgeon fishing in the gorge, my deadline is the one that pertains to what I am targeting. I hope you give people the benefit of the doubt, especially the ones you don't know, before you catagorize them in your "30 years of witnessed supposed knowledgeable fisherman that violate the rules".

I am not trying to come down on you personally but I just get a little sick of people that jump on a slight chance of regulation violation everytime someone tries to post something :shrug:

[ 05-27-2003, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sturgeon Tom is right on. Read, read again, digest, enjoy. Tacklebuster has given everyone a wealth of knowledge, above and beyond the call of duty. I am sure the info has helped a lot of people out. Thanks TB.

Rod Ross

1 - 13 of 13 Posts