IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was plunking at Hamilton island near Bonneville and was wounded inv how far out do you guys cast , the this fish stay tight to the banks or are they all spread out. Also what’s ur go to bait/ lure .today I got a bite on a coonshrimp and sng

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was plunking at Hamilton island near Bonneville and was wounded inv how far out do you guys cast , the this fish stay tight to the banks or are they all spread out. Also what’s ur go to bait/ lure .today I got a bite on a coonshrimp and sng
Parking lot or oak tree or mulberry bush. Flow and temp are a factor too. Most everyone tries to hold out the furthest they can, wires or nails in your weight will make further out possible. It seems like 15 years ago you could fish pretty close in(50ft) and be fine. It made dealing with all the rods packed together doable. Now it's a casting competition and if you don't have the right rod, reel and weight configuration it's just frustrating if you are in the busiest section of beach. You'll be dealing with oversize sturgeon this time of year also so shrimp are a bad idea. Canned tuna in mesh bags(tuna balls) are the go to but sturgeon will mess with that too. Not hard to copy someone who's catching up there, you get a front row seat to what they are using when they land a fish.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parking lot or oak tree or mulberry bush. Flow and temp are a factor too. Most everyone tries to hold out the furthest they can, wires or nails in your weight will make further out possible. It seems like 15 years ago you could fish pretty close in(50ft) and be fine. It made dealing with all the rods packed together doable. Now it's a casting competition and if you don't have the right rod, reel and weight configuration it's just frustrating if you are in the busiest section of beach. You'll be dealing with oversize sturgeon this time of year also so shrimp are a bad idea. Canned tuna in mesh bags(tuna balls) are the go to but sturgeon will mess with that too. Not hard to copy someone who's catching up there, you get a front row seat to what they are using when they land a fish.
Okay thank you for the information I appreciate it

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Back in the day, we used to anchor in that area. Right at the Oak tree, before it became a popular plunkin' spot. Yeah, I'm old. I had my best day ever anchored in 11' about 25' off the bank. This was fall fish and the current was RIPPIN' that day.

My $.02

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Back in the day, we used to anchor in that area. Right at the Oak tree, before it became a popular plunkin' spot. Yeah, I'm old. I had my best day ever anchored in 11' about 25' off the bank. This was fall fish and the current was RIPPIN' that day.

My $.02
What he said ^, We have hooked then all through that area though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My $.02
Where is “oak tree” I did a google search and got no results . And is it on the Washington side

1 - 8 of 8 Posts