IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Care to help a newbie? I've done a fair bit of sturgeon fishing down stream at Wauna and Astoria but never ventured up to Bonneville. Suggestions for boat ramps, and any unique techniques would be geatly appreciated.
Thanks much

·
Registered
266 Posts
Do a search on Bonniville or The Fishery and you will find several threads in the last couple of weeks about this.

My quick summary:
* The Fishery is one option for a boat ramp that I have used. The location is great, but the ramps are in bad shape, so walk down to the ramp and see what you are in for before backing up the boat (like I did.)
* Most people do pretty good with smelt, but it sounds like almost any of the normal baits (squid, shad, etc) work just fine.
* bring some heavy tackle because there is a pretty good chance that an oversized sturgeon is going to take you for a ride
* The current gets really strong so be sure to bring the right anchor gear

Good luck

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you are going up to the Fishery I would suggest going down strean from the ramp...the current below the ramp is far less than above and easier to get to know the area for the 1st time up there....make sure you have plenty of rope, a good anchore and pulling system...run down towards Mult. falls and see where other boats are fishing....watch the channel and good luck...we have been doing well with smelt and shad fillets.

·
Registered
371 Posts
the fishery gets really busy on the weekends sometimes it better to launch at rooster rock and work your way upstream towards the dam fishing cape horn, mult falls , tanner creek and the dam area i have pulled keepers from all this year but with the winds tomorrow (saturday) being forcast as 14mph be prepared also bring 16 oz wieghts the current is not that fast right now and that should hold you in most places fine
IF you bank fish i suggest hitting the dam direct and use sandshrimp but be there before 7 if you want to pick your spot to fish oh yeah i use smelt and shrimp scent from the boat sandshrimp and worm from bank
i plan on getting out there sunday (less wind)
good luck

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If you want to learn that area now is the time, the current is low even up high. We were fishing with our salmon gear and 12oz in the channel just below Tanner and had no problem. If you try this in May or June it would take 40-80oz. With flows as low as they are you can pretty much anchor wherever you want with 300' of rope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Guys... thanks very much for the info....BUT back up... Lets start with directions to the Fishery... never been there... don't know where it is...
Also Tanner? where???
Thanks for your help... I'll get this yet

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Fishery is on the Oregon side of the river, just below Bonneville. If I recall correctly, it is the last exit before the Bonneville exit when heading east on I84. There are signs that lead you to the place from the highway, so it's easy to find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Water is to low at Rooster rock, ramp is closed. Go east on I-84 to the Ainsworth exit. Go back under the freeway. Take the road that stays on the north side of the freeway. 1st left turn takes you into the Fishery. The east ramp is best right now. They can help you when you pay your lanch fee. $7.00 Fishing has been good. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts