IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to head up below the dam for some peeler action yesterday. Just us and one other boat. Took the meat stick rods for the big'uns and the big lead for the fast water.

Saw lots of oversize rolling around (including one ~8' that jumped 10' from the boat). The other boat hooked into a couple peelers, but none for us. We did manage to land 5 keeper class fish though. The biggest would have gone just over 50". Of course that wasn't much fun with the heavy gear.

The weather was all over the map. Rain, hail, lightening, thunder and of course, plenty of wind.

Mostly fished doubled up smelt. (half hitched together.) Had a decent tap on an old whole shad, but it didn't take it.

They are up there so I might have to go get some fresh shad on the Willamette and head back up there. :wink:

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
FYI
I was up there Sat (5/3) same type of report. Had a lot of fun with light tackle on the "keeper sized" and landed 2 oversized. The best bait we had was some old ('99) vacuum packed smelt and last years shad. The best part, other than watching my friends 8 year old hook and land shakers by himself, was the fact that there were 4 rigs in the lot at 7:45 am. Tough for The Fishery to make a living but great for a person that tries to avoid crowds!!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
As far as the parking lot goes, savor the flavor brother. In two weeks it will be a zoo :hoboy:

Thanks for the peeler reports, it only gets better from here on out.

Hey Scott- You ready for a workout? When you feel froggy give me a holler...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Chris,
I am ready anytime, I still have a few shad left from last year, I was hoping for some fresh in by now, but the water temp. just isn't cooperating! I have officially given up on the springers in the Portland area, and am ready for a nice big sturgeon! I was thinking of heading that way on Saturday.

Scott

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Scott-If you are thinking about Saturday, we could meet you guys out there. Erica has been itching for a peeler trip. I'm game bro, let me know...

How did you guys do on the springers?

[ 05-05-2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Chris,
I'll talk to my better half tonight and see if she is up for it. As far as the springers go, let's just say that I am looking forward to Shad/oversize sturgeon fishing! We went 0-4 trips! I didn't make as many trips as most, but I only spent half days salmon fishing, then got bored and went after sturgeon...had to have at least a little action! I'll let you know about Saturday! Time to break out the big rods! WOOHOO

Scott

·
Registered
14,443 Posts
Try the quivering shad for the best results. Just the gills work but whole males in the 1 to 2 pound size are good for a rod tip in the water everytime.

G

·
With all these real silver fish still around, why? You can do that anytime, 'specially when the fresh shad for bait are available real soon. :laugh:

Almost time for some "Sturgeon Virgin's" trips, huh Tacklebuster :grin:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
You betcha Rick, I love to see their face as line melts off the reel faster than butter in a frying pan. My favorite is watching someone try to take the rod out of the holder as it is going to town :shocked:

Getting about time to dust off the broom sticks...

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
I have been sturgeon fishing many of time but never above beacon rock and never for the big boys. I don’t even think my sturgeon rod could hold one. Sounds like to much fun any of you have an open see on wed or Thursdays I have two packs of last years smelt in my freezer. And would love to give it a try. :dance:

[ 05-06-2003, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Ryan Pultz ]

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
your the man thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think all of the carrot boys are up for what ever you try to throw our way. hopefully we will convert you to a carrot lover also.......chris

G

·
It will be fun. We will go up and have a blast catching bait, then drop down, put some fresh shad on the bottom, then you can yell " Man On! " at each other for a while. :laugh:

Lot's of shad and good weather, we are there. :wink:

[ 07-14-2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Rick- Sounds like the Carrot boys and Ryan are up for a workout :cool:

Ryan- Your in on my ride. I got all the gear and bait. I'll even record your "popping" on video. Just bring your lunch. I will give you a heads up when it's close.

[ 05-06-2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That was a great day! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I am looking forward to doing it again.... :shocked: (I think....) :grin: :grin:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sounds like the makings of an oversize flotilla. What do you think Chris, up for a BBQ in the afternoon?

Scott

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Sounds good Rick let me know when and what you need me to bring! I need to go back to lifting weights now :cheers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts