IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the current like up there now? Has anybody been fishing for oversizers? I am heading up tommorow and am curious on what to expect. Is it the normal flow for this time of year? Are the lunkers biting? A report would be great. Thank you

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I haven't been up there, but looking at the flows out of the dam I would say the current is moderate to strong and changing every day. One day it is 275 very strong, the next 225 strong. I would advise to bring 500' of rope and be prepared for a change in current while you are fishing, but is shouldn't be so strong that it is miserable.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Went out friday, current was pretty strong in the channel up by beacon rock. We got into some beauties just down river from the fishery. Shad fishing was poor.

G

·
Fish BELOW the Fishery. Current is not ripping as strong. Less weight needed to hold bottom as well.

Good West wind beware though. Can get rough as a cobb with rollers. Current slows down even more the nearer to the Oregon bank in this stretch. Don't even flirt with the Channel, whereever you are. :shocked:

Anywhere from right below Skamania Island up to the Fishery is both oversize and keeper areas.

You don't need to fish as high as you can above the Fishery to catch fish. Horsetail Falls right above Skamania Island is good too.

A good Columbia River pick anchor and 300 feet does just fine.

Be careful up at the shad rack. Remember there are a BUNCH of pilings, if underwater, on the downriver tip side of Ive's. Don't drop or hang your anchor in there.

Pull the anchor by hand, running up on it, if it's crowded Shad fishing in there!!

If you want to outfish everyone for Shad, use a red head jig and a 1 or 2 inch clear chartreuse
twister tail/grub, covered with anchovy scent.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Went sunday and hooked into one.Saw and heard of 6 others being caught.And dont be afraid to try the most unobvious spot it might be better than you think.And stay below the fishery it's just as good,I agree with ******. :grin: :wink:

[ 05-17-2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: justcastn ]

·
Registered
832 Posts
I will be trying the fishery on saturday of the holiday weekend, I usually fish around horsetail. Any other Ifishers going to be there that day? Going to take my 10 year old son, he has been hounding me to go. I am trying to get to the umpqua to pick up some shad for bait.
DM

G

·
Cloudy (and most) days "shad killer." Flo-red jig head. 1 and 2 inch clear chartreuse twister tail/grub, covered in anchovy scent. Small as you can go the better. Slide one ruby red very small bead down on your leader on top of the jig head.

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts