IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lets hear your stories, what are some bone head things your bird dog has done out hunting? I will start:

It was my dogs second hunting season. We were Chukar hunting with a friend and his dog. After quite a few miles and zero bird contacts we came over a rise in a relatively flat grass field (no steep canyons for Chukar to fly down into) and found both dogs on point about 150 yds away. It felt like a done deal. My friend went wide right and I went wide left to get in front of the dogs. When we were about 75 yards away a tweety bird flew directly in front of my dog, right at eye level and a few feet from his head! The bone head of course started to chase the tweety bird! He only chased a short distance (maybe less than ten feet) and then decided to go back on point, but it was to late and the covey of Chukar lost their nerve and flew off out of shooting range.

It was was funny and annoying all at the same time. Looking back on it now, it’s just a good story. I hunt for enjoyment, so a bone head maneuver by my bird dog every once in awhile just adds to the experience. He usually always makes up for his mistakes.

·
Registered
41,594 Posts
My first Griff tried to kill a Porcupine. She also thought skunks were worth the risk. Luckily she learned after the first experience with each.

Now if you’d have asked about bonehead moves for the hunter, we could all probably write books.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,603 Posts
My first Griff tried to kill a Porcupine. She also thought skunks were worth the risk. Luckily she learned after the first experience with each.

Now if you’d have asked about bonehead moves for the hunter, we could all probably write books.
Had the same problem with my older shorthair. After that time every time he got on one he was all over it. Nothing worse than pulling quills on the side of a mountain with a dog squirming all over.

Years later a fire came through the area we hunted and problem solved.
That dog hated porcines with a passion at any price.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,603 Posts
Pointing on a mouse is another problem I have had a time or two. That's mostly happening in or along the breaks of the mountain when I'm all on hair trigger as it looks like she really has a bird pinned tight until I get down to where she's at and see a mouse hole with droppings on a nice rock beside the hole!
It usually only happens when we are not seeing many birds or have a longer dry spell..

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Watched a trainer/handler get on his hands and knees , crawl over to his dog and bite the dogs ear ,the dog let out a yelp .Guess the dog was not doing what he wanted done .Asked him why he did that ,trainer told me the dog needs to respect him as the alpha dog ,I just said OK 🙄.I would like him to try that on one of my BigGame Hounds .

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,603 Posts
We had a bunch of guys we were chuckar hunting with one time, all the guys got out of there rigs while putting there boots on and so on they let the dogs out to run around. Most of the guys had there guns leaning up on sage brush or along the corner of the tailgate when one of the male dogs decided to start marking which gun he wanted! 😂🤣🤣

One of my cousins was always kind of the joker in the group guess what gun that dog wanted to call his own! 🤣

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Dad had a pup (Fritz) who was a great pet. Dad never trained him (Outside tennis balls in the yard), figured the fetch thing was instinctive.

I would try and make suggestions to Dad on things he could do to work with pup that would be helpful. Dad usually scoffed at my suggestions. He always ignored them. "He's a lab. They are born to fetch. No need to teach them what they were born with". I figured it was Dad's adventure, so if his dog never learns "Sit, Stay or Here", it was Dad's problem.

That duck season, Fritz was 1 year old. Dad signs up to duck club. We went to Dad's duck club. We kill a duck. Mostly untrained dog runs out for the fetch. Dad proudly proclaims "I told you he'd fetch without training. He's a lab!".

Fritz grabbed the duck, and proceeded to eat it as he stood in the decoys.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Not a Bone head deal ,but kinda funny .My Gramps and tgecRanch Neighbor had our line of Terriers for Deer and Hogs .They had the dogs trained with hand signals .Guess they were walking out and had a dog hold back with the hand signal ,they never released the dog from stay put mode ,they got back to the Jeep and no Fido , poor guy was sitting back where they told him to stay .

Another cool thing my gramps did was to train the Dogs to start hunting back to him with the sound of a windup alarm clock ,would set clock for enough time to get in place and the Dogs would work the brush . Always told gramps to wire to clock to their collar .

Maybe not this size clock though .

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
You mean like that guy who brought his female that was still in heat out on the pheasant opener?

Talk about ruining a hunt for a multiple people/parties,....
I thought one guy was gonna shoot her.

·
Registered
24,467 Posts
Years ago my wife had a black and white cat. Dog liked that cat. Summer lake has a lot of skunk. Nice furry black and white skunk. Twice we drove home with all the windows of the Cherokee open. Dog found his cat "skunk" on the hike in twice. The other bad part. He loved the skunk scent. Happiest dog ever once he was sprayed. He also loved to share his good fortune.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I had a GSP when I was a kid that absolutely loved it when my dad would burn our burn pile. She would jump up and down trying to grab every ash that floated off the fire. She would foam at the mouth, looking like she was rabid. She would usually singe all of her whiskers off. The neighbors never knew what to think.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Double bonehead story. Dogs went on point in some brush at the base of a stock tank dam. Walked across the top of the dam hoping to flush the bird(s). When nothing flushed I jumped down into brush in front of the dogs and landed on the porcupine they were pointing. The porcupine ruined a perfectly good pair of Danner boots and I ruined a perfectly good porcupine with my 20 ga. My buddy had a good laugh.

·
Registered
41,594 Posts
It’s always good when you take your dog to a test and introduce her to the water where that portion of the test will take place so she can get familiar with it. Swam across the lake three times. Come test time, she got a big fat zeerow. She did swim a tiny bit but not enough to satisfy the judges. She got all 4’s in the field work. Conditions for the tracking portion of the test were horrendous but she still got a 2. Don’t know where that came from, I didn’t see it. Thought she got a 0 there too. Some dogs did get 0’s.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts