IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever fish Bolan Lake, way down south?
I'm staying in the fire lookout there in a few weeks and plan to drag the canoe down and throw some bugs.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Yes. I grew up in Grants Pass and used to love to go up there. We used to hit it early when the road wasn't completely open. We'd drive til we got stuck in a snow drift and then camp. Next morning we'd walk in and kill'em. We would also hit it in the fall. Dry flies are the norm. My favorite is a red Humpy. Terrestrial patterns kill too. I like the south side of the lake where you can be up on the trail and spot cruising fish and then sneak down and ambush them. Good fun. Walk up to Tannen and east Tannen. Better fish in those two lakes and it's the same game. A little more brushy though. Oh, I would not be too "sneaky" quiet on my walk into Tannen. I grouse hunted down the draw that Tannen creek flows through down to the road once and saw so many piles of bear scat that were huge. I've never seen scat like this before or since. Absolutely huge piles. The diamater of the scat was crazy big. There are some bruiser bears down there so be careful.

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've heard there were lots of bears around there, but If I were staying at the lookout (overnight!) I'd be more concerned about the Wendigo! I've heard him up there moving through the treetops with the night winds, groaning and looking for a soul to replace the one he's lost. :eek:

Just something to think about at one of the loneliest places around.

Seriously, I envy you your trip and wish you a great time. :grin:

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard there were lots of bears around there, but If I were staying at the lookout (overnight!) I'd be more concerned about the Wendigo! I've heard him up there moving through the treetops with the night winds, groaning and looking for a soul to replace the one he's lost. :eek:

Just something to think about at one of the loneliest places around.

Seriously, I envy you your trip and wish you a great time. :grin:
Wow, I did a web search for the Wendigo. Now I've got one more thing to worry about besides bears, madmen, Bigfoot, etc. I will be armed to the tilt with Gerber knives and axes.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
FOSH is an expert on the Wendigo. He and I heard that lonsome critter one starry night in the woods. It's a pretty spooky sound. Sent us straight to the tent. Pistols loaded.....have fun.

Mark

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Back from the Lookout. We ended up taking and releasing 5 Brookies out of Bolan.
All very small (8 inches) but they were full of life and fight.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Glad you had fun. Did you walk the trail down to the lake? See any big Blacktail bucks? What about Tannen and E. Tannen?

Mark

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We did walk the trail down but saw only small does (2). We took the Kings Saddle trail and saw the big piles of bear scat. We never made it to Tannen as my truck broke down. I needed a new batter and got a $200 tow back to town. I plan on going back and hitting the Tannen lakes as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts