IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trolled everywhere, even the rivers this weekend with no luck. Had some issues with bank fishermen who were trying to take over the whole river. I'm trying to stay away from a snag, I'm in or near the middle of the stream, I'm lifting my pole waaayy out of the water and I'm still snagging their lines because they will not move.
This is a biggggg hole and I'd like to take a shot at it.
I understand first come first served when it comes to your spot on the bank and you don't want the guy next to you casting in the same spot. The same goes for anchoring up over a hole on any river.
Why can't I troll down the middle of the river without be harassed?

"Quote"
..and then we can do one of the Kilchis, and the Wilson, and... hey! We can invite all of Portland down and teach them the secret holes, and teach them where to dump their trash too! Whoo hoooo!

We can teach them bankies how to tick off boaters, and boaters how to tick off bankees!!!
We can then put river cams on every good hole, and when it's a really good day, I'll just post that pic on the front page of ifish... and...

OH MY! I better go to bed.

Jen
"end quote"

Can someone tell me the names of the 'Bobber Only" areas? No, I am not from the metro area, so there.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Try fishing the Yaquina. Lots of boat fishing with almost no bankies. Heck you might even catch a fish

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Here's the way that I normally think and what I would do:
The scene...
*River, 75-80ft across;
*Bank fisherman with visible line or bobber
within 20ft of shore;
*Response: stay to at least 20ft away if not more
when possible. Relay to the bank how deep the
area is and if there are any fish.

Trouble begins when...
*People insult me with words that I do not wish
used around my wife or children;
*People have a visible line or bobber more then
30-40ft from shore and they will not reel up to
allow anyone to pass. (multiple boats means
'reel it in and keep it' in but one boat
every once in a while means 'just let me pass')
(remember, even if I do not have a line out, I
will make sure that I have enough room to
maneuver which could be on top of your lines)

Do you think that it is easier to:
1) Reel up my line, control the throttle, steer, don’t
run over anyone’s line, help my family get their poles
in, don’t hit any other boats, re-bait all of our poles then
get all the poles out?

or…..
have a bank fisherman

2) Reel up, re-bait then don’t hit anyone when they
cast again?

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Spooled said it best.

[ 10-20-2003, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
641 Posts
Floater, I have seen what you describe, happen at the "Hospital Hole". I understand that you would like to fish the same hole as bank fishermen, but trolling through it is wrong. If you are hooking the bank fishermen's lines, you are the problem, not them, no matter how far out from shore they are fishing. I fish from my drift boat a lot, and if I see bank fishermen ahead, I have everyone reel up. They have a limited area to fish, where as a boat has the rest of the river. If I wanted to fish that hole, I would pull my boat up to shore and fish from the bank like everyone else. It isn't about what is easiest to do, it is what is right to do. No trying to upset you, just trying to answer your question. :smile:

[ 10-20-2003, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Spooled ]

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
What Spooled said

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
Spooled,you nailed it. A little respect and common courtesy can go a long way in these situations.

·
Registered
73 Posts
very well said spooled we also fish fron a boat there and just go around and smile on the way by... be nice to them and they will be nice to you.....lots of other places to fish from a boat, no need for a fight.
duck-boy

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Well said Spooled.

I spent many a year being a bank maggot but now mostly fish from a boat. I fished last week in Trask tidewater. When motoring past hospital hole, where I've spent hundreds of hours in years past fishing from the bank, I made sure to stay well to the other side of the river and give them all the room they wanted AND deserved. No lines in the water and no wake.

Remember, it's not all about YOU and your own "convenience" or lack thereof, but getting along with everybody and being a good, considerate sportsman.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
yeah what spooled said.....limited access means u leave that area to them...or join them

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, there are a couple of different factors involved here that I am going to have to chew on.
Yes, it was the Hospital hole.

One issue that I agree with is that if there are 10miles of river then only 2 percent may be accessible.
:depressed:
The other is that this quote may not be entirely accurate;
"They have a limited area to fish, where as a boat has the rest of the river.
END QUOTE"
and the reason is that the bank fishermen have the whole area, at least on that side of the river, up to the bridge just like I would. :shrug:

Remember, we're not talking about 10-20ft from shore here. We're talking about half the river.
Not one person would like it if a boat anchored all night on top of a hole, 10ft from shore, then had 8 guys put there poles out in all directions.
I would not do that because it is a monopoly of an area.....

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree with Floater.
Floater said it very nice to you and you need to take the advise.
I have boats and if I want to fish the hole you were taking about I will take my truck and fish from the bank. This is not the only hole on the river. There are other productive hole that have no bank access. That's where you need to take your boat.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Spooled.

If the bankies are using half of the river, then you should use the OTHER half of the river to bypass their lines.

[ 10-20-2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Sir Fishalot ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Let me get this straight: You tried to boat fish the Hospital Hole and are upset that the bankies where rude to you?

Every time I have motored through there I have felt bad that I had to mess up their fishing just by passing through. I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine trying to fish that hole from a boat. I would never have the nerve.

I don't think the bankies were the problem. Use the rest of the river and the slough. Very little of the lower river is available to bankies.

Want to troll? Try the bay.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Welcome to the wonderfull world of coastal chinook fishing.
And people ask me occasionally why I do most of my fall fishing now days for coho up in Washington. :grin:
I go fishing for fun! :wink:
I'm not a meat or egg hunter.
And I do catch plenty of those stinky chinook by accident.

You might try heading south away from hatcheries and the Tillamook metro mess.

Good luck!

Dan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts