IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a wanted add in the classifieds looking for a 9 to 9 1/2 foot bobber/jig rod and now I have a question about what I should be looking for. I have not fished bobber/jig much and would like to get set-up to do so. There was a response to my add that suggested I should be looking for a 10 to 10 1/2 foot rod for this type of fishing. I would like to use this set-up primaraly for winter/summer steelhead fishing and have already purchased a reel now I need to get the rod. Could some of you guys that fish this way please suggest what size rod I should be looking at (length and weight). I only have $50 to $75 (maybe could go as high as $100 if needed) to spend so I'll be looking to get the best I can for the money. Thanks in advance for you help.

JK

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I've used everything from a 7'0" 4 - 12lb rod to 9'6" 10 - 20lb and I really have found little difference. There's really only one thing that would benefit from changing in your regular steelhead fishing gear, and that is rod length. The longer the rod, the easier it is to keep the line of the water, and therefore preventing line belly, and so on.. But, like I said, I have fishing with a 7' rod and done just fine, it's all up to you.

As far as wieghts, I wouldn't do anything different than your standard Steelhead setup, anything from 4-12 to 10-20. Depends on whether you want to fight the fish, or skip on the top of the water as you reel it in.

--Skahorse

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have an TH1143S for bobber/jig fishing. I really like that rod. They are a little out of the price range you mentioned. You might just touch base with TH Custom Rods. They post specials from time to time. They sometimes have demo rods at great prices.

They have a link at the bottom of this page.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
A 9'6" rod would be good for most rivers. If you plan on fishing large rivers such as the Cowlitz then step up to a longer rod.

A rod rated from 6-12# would be great for both winter and summer steelhead. This will allow you to drop down to 6# test for summers and still have the ability to run 12# mainline for winters and not be over stressing your rod.

Take a look at Fisherman's and check out their North River series. For bobber fishing you don't need a super sensitive rod so you should be able to get what you're looking for in your price range.

Have fun shopping

Mark

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I prefer the 9 to 9-1/2 ft length rods with some backbone, because the longer whippy rods can become unweildy and out of control, especially when fighting a big fish. You need to set a solid hook, but it's more difficult with a lighter action rod. Also, to keep the line off the water, use spectra line which floats.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Killer Dave, I picked up a 10'6" Berkley air im-7 rod that I use for bob-n-jig. They were at GI Joes. Not too bad of a rod for the price.
Mike

[ 06-27-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Mikeymoto ]

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all who responded, I took Mark's advice (he would know wouldn't he, thanks Mark)and went out a lunch today and bought a Okuma Cielo (sp) 9'-6" 6-12lb rod for $50 at GI Joes. This rod was right in the price range I wanted and it felt good in my hand. I have a Okuma reel I bought earlier for this set-up so I felt they'ld be a good match. So here I go, look out summers here I come..............

Thanks agian for all the advice, awesome as usual.

JK

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Glad to see you're getting into Jig fishing, Artwo. I did the same at the beginning of the summer, and I'm glad I did. Ever fish I've caught this summer has been on jigs, and I've been catching many more fish than normal for this time of year.
For my rod, I bought a 10'6'' Shimano Stimula from Cabela's. It's only 65$ and it's a really nice rod. I've had no problems with it. I love the play it gives me when I'm fighting a fish.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Hey Artwo,

What reel are you going to put on that rod? I'm looking to build a reasonably priced summer steelhead bobber set-up, and I was just curious.

I've been looking at the Shimano Convergence for the rod, but they seem pretty stout/heavy for summers.

·
Registered
16,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bounty Hunter,
I bought a Okuma Epixor EF30 reel a while back just for this type fishing, it was recomended by a guide friend of mine. I believe I paid about $50 for at the time. It just turned out that the rod I found that I liked was by Okuma also so I thought they would make a good setup. I really like this Okuma reel, it's the smoothest spinning reel I've ever owned. We'll have to see how it handles with a fish at the other end but I think it will do just fine.

JK

[ 06-30-2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Artwo ]

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
go to fidhermans' marine, they have and Im6 rod made by Northriver, a local rod made by WW grigg.
They make a sweet 9' steelhead bobber and jig rod rated for 4-10lb test. It's great, has landed a number of fish, and has just the right action. Return policy if broken is nice too.
Good luck

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I'll vouch for the okuma, it's a sweet reel, and the drag is silky smooth. Well worth the dough.
I use that model on my bobber/jig set up too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts