IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide info for herring and bobber set-up. Hook size, bobber size, herring size whole or plug? fixed bobber or sliding? weight style (tear drop, cannonball) and preffered .oz's
Basically any and all info. Thanks for the help :smile:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I read an article in STS a couple years ago about this. Specifically for coho around the estuary. LARGE bobber (fixed), 2-3' to a 1oz mooching sinker, 3-4' of leader to a whole herring. (That is a close as a I can remember.) If I recall correctly, they mentioned something about casting behind the wing dams and into the rips. I would imaagine you could also use this with a slip bobber and bobber stop to get deeper. The big bobber helps to keep the herring moving via the wave action.

Good luck if you try it and let us know how it turns out. I have also heard of folks keeping a rigged up spare rod with a 1oz mooching sinker and cut plug herring ready to go to throw at boiling coho on the surface.

[ 08-15-2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Lured In ]

·
Registered
676 Posts
You can also just flyline your herring, run your normal mooching rig with a swivel to main line cast it out as far as possible let it sink a little and sloooowly start to retrieve to get that slow roll.Try varying your retrieve speed untill you find what they like. I learned this from a guy at the jetty last year while bobber fishing,we didnt get a hit with our bobbers and this guy down the way limited in about ten minutes! But sometimes they will hit a bobber presentation better also!Ive watched silvers follow my bait back to the jetty and take it right by the rocks so dont stop your presentation until your out of the water! Good luck!

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info but am also looking how to rig the bait? Hook placement? Head down or up? cut plug etc. :shrug:

·
Registered
676 Posts
For flylining herring,use mocching rig 2/0 3/0 20-25lb just in case mr nookie comes calling,whole herring sliding 2nd hook or fixed whatever you prefer. I like to have at least 36 in of leader between hooks and barrell swivel. Use whole herring just like you would if you were trolling in a boat.make sure ya tune it till you get a good roll!Your better off using a spinning reel as you will be able to cast farther without a weight. You can add a little weight if you find the fish are running in deeper water I usually just add a split shot or two. :cheers:

·
Registered
756 Posts
In the 70's I used to fish off the jetty at Fort Stevens with bobber and herring. On your main line put a slider and attach enough pyramid weight to keep it on the bottom 3 -6 oz. More if there's a lot of current. Next, slide on a syrofoam or cork float (also slides) and then tie a swivel on the end of your main line. The bobber is between your weight and the swivel. Next tie on a mooching rig and we used whole herring. Cast out as far as you can. The weight sinks to the bottom. Feed out line fast. Your bobber brings your mooching rig and bait back up to the top. Now the waiting game. If the herring gets bothered by seagulls, add a little split shot to the mooching line to sink it a little. It's no fun catching them. Sometimes we'd see the coho swirl at the bait and then come back and take it. When your bobber disappears, set the hook hard. All we had then were fiberglass poles. The problem now is how to get the fish up. Then we used an 8 foot gaf as we didn't have to worry about fin clips. Now it's a partners job to get down there along the water and net the fish and bonk it or let it go if it's a nate. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I rig the bobber up the same way we do for the springers.
I use that Kenai King of mine. That rod of yours would work with ease.
I use that 6500 Abu reel of mine
20-30 pound main/leader line
2-3oz of lead.
4-5 foot leaders
3/0-5/0 hooks
Tie two hooks onto your leader. Sliding stile is what I do. Put that top hook thu there head and then put that second hook thu its back two times. I usually set my bobber stop at about 5 feet. From what I've been told out there off the Jetty at the mouth, its no deeper then 20 feet?
I've had no problems getting them out there like this.

Think someone listed it above. I go out with two rods. My bobber rod and a little liter one for long range casting. I tie a 1 1/2 banana weight and a 4 foot leader with two sliding hooks. Rig it up the same way. Lot of times when the fish are in you can see them. Just cast that out there and start bringing it in and hammer them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts