IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some bobber fishing with a couple of IFISHers last season and they were pretty darn good. They told me they learned alot by following some guides, I think they said it was the Amerman's. I talked my neighbor into taking his John Boat to tidewater in Tillamook this Saturday, does anyone know Mr. Amerman and where I might be able to watch his mastery at work?

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
I'd be careful about that plan. A lot of guides don't particularly care for being shadowed like that. If you want their secrets, it's worth the money to pay them for a trip.

In the meantime, search through the previous years of ifish. There's a ton of great info just waiting for you to come find it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
For $175, and provide him lunch, you can sit in his boat and learn first hand! His phone number isn't too hard to find here on the board.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
It would definately be worth the money to hire him or one of the guides that work in that group. I think you would learn a ton from even one trip.....good luck!

[ 10-24-2003, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: ZaQ ]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Give it a try solo, then when you get tired of that and want to catch fish, give the Amerman's a call. The last few trips I thought I was doing good to get one fish in the boat, then I get back to the boat ramp and see what the professionals did.......boat limits almost every time, and there are usually four guys in the boat.
$175 is a small investment for the vast knowledge you will learn and use from then on.
Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Skeezer...

Typically a guide has fished (studied) his whole life. It has been his investment in exactly the same way a doctor going to medical school has been. There is NO difference whatsoever. The man is an expert and deserves every penny he makes.
$175 is a bargain for such expertice.. after the guide spends 20 bucks for gas in his truck 20 in his boat. Plus God only knows how much for his rods, reels, boats ,trucks ,tackle how much of that 175 bucks do you think will go towards profit?
plus you can figure it this way.. 175 bucks divided by ohh lets say an average day consists of 12 hours ( 8 fishing, 2 prepareing and 2 cleaning up) take away his overhead and you could guess he is maybe making 10-15 an hour while equally skilled people in other careers are making 200,000 + a year .

A guides time is valuable and so is his experience. Some aren't willing to pay and thats fine but never ever think he is taking advantage of his clients by overcharging.. If you want a trip where lunch is provided take a steelhead float trip on the Deschutes ( 350-450 a day). then come down to tide water and recognize what a bargain 175 is..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Darned if I'd hire em, none of them(Scott, Gary and Grant) got there 3 boat limits today until 11 O'clock!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Someone told my neighbor to go to the Trask River. I didn't even know where that was, but he did, so he thought. We set out for Tillamook at 0330 and got there at 0500. Wow were we early. We were one of the first boats in the water. We waited till the sun came up and than tried to find some guys that looked like they knew what they were doing. Well, it turns out we wern't even in the Trask river. We found out later we were in Cape Meares lake or something. It wasn't even a river!!! We never did find the Trask river or anyone that was even using bobbers for salmons. Guess we'll try again next Saturday. Thanks for the help all.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Unless you took the long way you drove right OVER the Trask to get to Cape Meares Lake. Either hit the 5th street ramp in Tillamook (end of 5th street, easy to find)and that will put you right into the Trask, or launch at Memaloose (you most likely drove right past that to get to Cape Meares)which is the upper end of T-Bay. From there, it's just a few hundred yards to the mouth of the Trask.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Fishen Fool,
I kinda doubt they'd even let you on their boats :grin: :grin: :wink: .

·
Registered
62 Posts
You were a little early for salmon in cape mares lake. about three weeks try it. its one hot spot. we try to keep it under our hats but you kinda let it out. good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts